cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recomendations

opheliasspirit

Router recomendations

My friend wants to sign up for plusnet but he want's to check his router/modem options first. Currently Plusnet supplies the "Technicolor 582n" but it's cheaper to get off of amazon (if you don't anticipate being a member for a year) but is very poorly rated anyway. He was wondering what other compatible router-modem combos there were that people had purchased recently and would recommend as being reliable, and hopefully on the budget end of the spectrum.
Thanks from both of us in advance
Leanne
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Router recomendations

Does he need wireless? If not right at the low end of budget: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netgear-DG834-ADSL-Firewall-Router-/271008252468?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&h... and there's wireless ones for very little more.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
barcs

I'm the aforementioned friend. I've signed up for plusnet so am able to post here.
I was ideally looking for something that someone could recommend from personal experience as I've had a router in the past that was absolutely dire even with all the appropriate port-forwarding set up, and others that have been fine. Wireless would definitely be nice (probably essential), compatible with ADSL2+ would be good too, and obviously (alike to your suggested one) I'm looking for an ADSL/broadband modem+router combo not just a straight up router.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of getting a Netgear dg834gt if I can find a refurbished/new one that's not too expensive and had the appropriate AC adaptor and whatnot.
Many thanks,
~B
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Seems a good idea
I am very happy with the DG834G v4 which uses the same chipset