Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problems?

JayChan
Dabbler

Router problems?

Hi,
I've had my new broadband set up last week. However the router is quite temperamental. I've taken it off auto channel and done some experimenting. For example when I try to set to channel 12 or 13 the router stabilizes somewhat however reception around the house isn't too great as there's interference from neighboring routers using those channels. So I tried using a program to detect what channels are not used in the surrounding areas which resulted in channels 1-3 being ideal. However when I try to switch to those channels despite providing better results for reception the router becomes very unstable and decides to kick devices off very frequently and disappears from the visible networks. So my question is. Is the router faulty? Or is there anything else I can do?
Kind regards,
J
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Router problems?

Which router are you using? Which devices get kicked off?
Bright
Grafter

Could be picking up interference from another source that is not a wifi network on those channels (eg cordless phone, microwave, other electrical device). Unfortunately wifi sniffer programmes only show you other wifi sources and not any other electromagnetic radiation in the same bands.
JayChan
Dabbler

I'm currently using the technicolor router that they supplied as default with their packages.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Have you been through every channel? I know it's not ideal but it maybe that only one or two channels perform to your line speeds in your environment.
JayChan
Dabbler

No I haven't tried every single channel as I find it pointless to use a channel that has a lot of traffic. So I avoided using channels that a lot of routers in the area are using hence the previous tests that I tried.
Bright
Grafter

Is it a TG582n? Whilst it might be faulty, I doubt it (it's working ok on channels 12 and 13, just not covering your house well from the sound of it).  Whilst wifi on this router works fine for many users, it doesn't seem to perform well in locations with challenging radio conditions. I'm afraid a lot of users (including me) have had to swap the router to one with better radio performance to get decent coverage and throughput.
I'm not sure if you're on ADSL or Fibre, but many people have found the wireless performance of Asus routers to be pretty good. Have a search on these forums and those at ThinkBroadBand for other recommendations (I use an Asus RT-N66U and it provides excellent coverage in rooms I've never been able to reach with any previous router).
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

#JayChan: Not necessarily pointless. I set my 11n300 router to 13(+9), as most signals were below 11 (mainly the other "defaults" of 1 and 6). I know not why, but shortly afterwards many SSIDs had moved to 11 and my neighbour has moved from 1+5 to 13+9. I get the impression (non-scientific) that APs set to "auto" seem to follow high level signals received  Huh
That said, internal transfers via wifi don't seem to have been affected markedly by the signal mix (I only have 3.6Mbps internet).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just keep trying JayChan, i had to settle with a few old 54mb G routers for my setup untill i have enough pennys for another router to better suit my own needs.
I know it's frustrating though! , maybe you have some older routers lying about that you coud try using instead just to check etc.
As stated though,  you can't see all the spectrum with a wifi analyser so it is just acase of trial and error unfortunately.
good luck though.... Chin up  Wink
JayChan
Dabbler

Well I'm on unlimited fibre package and yes it's the TG582n. Essentially I don't mind forking out for a new router if the TG582n is indeed rubbish. But I really have no clue what works well for my current setup. I just didn't really expect the router to perform so bad even for a no frills one supplied by plusnet (assuming it's not faulty).
Bright
Grafter

What is your current setup? Is it fairly straightforward? Do you have any slightly more unusual needs? eg VPN, VoIP gateway, server, etc.
As I said before, if you're finding wifi coverage difficult, the Asus routers have very good wireless performance. The RT-N56U and RT-N66U are both suitable for fibre and both have very good wifi performance. As you've already got the BTOR fibre modem you just need a router - what's often referred to as a cable router  (one that doesn't have an ADSL modem in it).
But might be worth a bit more experimenting with different channels on the Plusnet router first, before you splash out on something else.
JayChan
Dabbler

Very straightforward. No need for VoIP gateway etc. I'll have a look at the recommended routers.  Thank you