cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problems - at a loss...

Mav
Fixes: 514

Router problems - at a loss...

Since I woke this morning (around 5am) I noticed that the connection seemed to be dropping regularly (less than a minute) and pages would be slow to load. Having been busy all morning I set about investigating round about 2pm. I noticed the drops happened whether wired or wireless and I was unable to access the router's (TG582n) home page at all.
Fearing the router could be at fault I swapped it for a TG585 v8. I performed a factory reset first. Initially it seemed to be OK but, after only a few minutes I was getting the same issues yet again. I keep losing connection both wired and wireless and I still can't access the router's home page (wired or wireless).
It would seem odd that two different routers would show the same issues so rang PN to see if there could be something I've overlooked. According to their records my connection had been solid till just after 2pm when I started swapping the routers.
Does anyone have any advice as to where else to look? I do still have a TG585 v7 and a Homehub 2 to try (and even a Talk Talk router) but before I did I wanted to ask on here.
dick:green Title edited as per OPs request.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES 18
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Router problems - at a loss...

Have you tried using more than one device to test the connection?
Mav

Yes...
PC wired
Two laptops and a tablet wireless.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

What lights are/were showing on the router/s ?
Mav

I'll have to check later as it's not in an easily accessible place - quite a pain to keep swapping Sad

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Normal connection problem test, pickup the phone dial 17070 option 2 and listen for noise.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Mav

This is getting worse.
I have just swapped again for a 585 v7 and still getting the same issues:
Network and sharing centre shows as connected but refreshing browser tabs occasionally works (usually slowly) most times I get a network error.
@ JayG  Lights are:
Power On (Green)
Ethernet Flashing (Green)
Wireless Flashing (Green)
Broadband On (Green)
Internet On (Green)
@Gus No discernible noise on line.

OK. I gave 10 minutes before posting and now things seem stable. I can access the router's home page both wired and wireless and webpages seem to load without problems and can perform speed tests both wired and wireless.
It seems that I was unlucky enough to have a router fail then try and swap with another failed one Sad
Anyway, as I recently re-contracted I have paid p&p for one of the new Sagemcoms as a backup.

Edit: I've been told that the IP of the Sagemcom is the same as for the Thomson so would it be beneficial to use it when it arrives or just keep as a backup?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Router problems - at a loss... [Solved - Hopefully]

The DHCP issued IP addresses for your devices start at 192.168.1.1 with the 2704n, whereas with the 582n they start at 192.168.1.64.
Both modem/routers have the IP address 192.168.1.254
You can easily change the DHCP allocations on the 2704n if you wish by logging in at  192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
Then goto >Advanced Setup >LAN. You can change the starting address and you can set static addresses - see attached screen capture.
For more information on the 2704n see various threads on the Hardware board.
Note: configuring a 2nd IP address for the 2704n is optional, the screen capture shows it setup in this case.
Mav

Thanks Anotherone.
All my devices are set to static IP addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 35 (no I don't have that many devices I just spread them out).
If I can change the start address for DHCP does that mean I can also change the start address for the static addresses so that I don''t have to change it on all the devices (currently 12, I think). One reason I stopped using the Netgear.

Anotherone
Champion

Not sure is the answer to that one, a bit of experimentation needed. As I haven't (as yet) seen any way one could start and define separate "pools" as one can on the 582n, I would hope that you could set your static addresses at the top of the list and DHCP would start at your defined point lower than that, but everything would be in the same pool. People have been looking for ways to define a "guest" network and AFAIK it's not possible on the 2704n but I haven't checked around for all possible related threads.
Mav

It seems I spoke too soon as the problems have been persistent again today with frequent loss of internet, slow pages and unable to access the router's home page, etc.
There is often no visible notification that the connection has dropped as the Network icon doesn't change. Again the issue is both wired and wireless
If I could access the router's pages then I could post details from the log which may be helpful. Is not being able to access the router's pages a red herring?
Just to confirm that no hardware (except for swapping routers due to the problem) or software changes have been made recently. I am using Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Below is the status of the current connection to the BT socket. The phone and router were connected to the BT supplied box but I have removed the faceplate and connected as you can see with a filter to see what effect that may have, if any. So far all seems ok and I have been able to access the router log which I have posted below the pics if any one is able to get some clues from them, please.
P.S. Could a mod change the title by removing the Solved bit, please?

Anotherone
Champion

Your loss of sync there was some 7 minutes Shocked
I'm wondering if there's work going on at you local exchange - is it being upgraded for Fibre perhaps?
Also do a Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 just to check for line noise. Be a bit OCD with doing that if you see any further problems.
Mav

That could be a possibility as there was a due date for FTTC of 31/12/14 but then it changed to not available on Kitz and Sam Knows. In another thread someone mentioned that it will be later this year for my exchange, Minster.
But why should any works affect access to the router's pages? I haven't been near where the cabinet is for a while so maybe will look tomorrow.
I have performed a quiet test and that seemed ok.

Anotherone
Champion

Looks like your Fibre might be by the end of June if I've interpreted Making Kent Quicker correctly.
As far as accessing the 582n goes I think a few of us have experienced that problem on occasion, if you get a disconnect in a rather ungraceful manner, depending on what BT are fouling up, it can make the modem/router a bit screwy and sometimes only a reboot cures it.
Mav

With all the swapping about since yesterday I've been using the TG585 v7 8.2.6.5 but I assume it could have the same issues as the 582 Undecided