Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem - oldgeezer

oldgeezer
Grafter

Router problem - oldgeezer

Hi all,
I've recently migrated onto 21CN but unfortunately my somewhat flaky Netgear DGN1000 decided it didn't like it and kept loosing connection. This seems to have upset my lines learning process.
I initially received a download speed of getting on for 7000 kbps but this soon disappeared. I am now getting downloads of around 4500 kbps the same as I got on 20CN.
Plusnet have sent me a Thomson 585V8 router and I have flashed the firmware to the latest version.
I'm now getting a sync speed of around 6592 kbps and my attenuation has fallen to 41dB from the 44dB it was on 20CN. My noise margin during the day is 12 dB falling to 9 dB at night.
The problem seems to be that my IP profile is stuck at 5000 kbps instead of the 5500 I would have expected.
Up to now my connection and wireless are rock solid.
I'm connected by ethernet to my HP  m7525 desktop and by wireless to my Samsung NC10 netbook which has had the wireless card replaced by an Intel 5100 due to past problems.
Is there any chance that some kind person at Plusnet Towers could give my IP profile a bit of a nudge ?
Regards,
jim:green Posts split off and title changed mod:end
3 REPLIES 3
oldgeezer
Grafter

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

Further to my last post my new Thomson router  seems to have lost the plot.
At about  1.30am  this morning my noise margin as displayed by RouterStats Lite, suddenly jumped from 9 dB to 18 dB and knocked my sync right down to 5728 kbps. My router is connected directly to the master socket via a premium filter and the one corded telephone is plugged into this. My location is at 900+ feet above sea level on the top of the hill and the area provides very strong radio reception on all bands.
I presume that this jump is due to some fault with the router as I thought the exchange only altered this if the margin was less than 6 dB.
At this rate my flaky Netgear will prove a better bet.
What are Plusnet  doing about a router which doesn't appear to be fit for purpose ?
As an afterthought, would I be better putting my router on a time-switch to turn it off say from 10 pm until 8 am ?
oldgeezer
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router problem - oldgeezer

Posts split off as this isn't a wireless problem
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router problem - oldgeezer

Hi oldgeezer,
Although there are times when routers can cause issues such as this, the vast majority of time it will be down to something physical, either in your property or between your house and the exchange. I would suggest you raise a fault so that we can carry out some tests on the line for you.
Jojo Smiley