cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router performance and sync speed

donne
Grafter

Router performance and sync speed

Does router performance affect sync speed?  My impression is that my current sync speed of 4500, obtained with PN-supplied Thomson 585 is lower than that which I obtained with my old D-link G604, which I remember seemed to be about 6000.  This lower speed pertains in spite of my having moved the Thomson router to the socket where my BT line enters the house - the 604 was on the end of several metres of internal wiring.  I generally prefer the Thomson because the D-link required resetting every few days whereas the Thomson is much more stable, but it would be good to get back where I was in sync speed.
3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router performance and sync speed

HI donne,
It is possible that your old Dlink offers a better performance than the thomson. Some routers may perform better due to the chipset working better on some lines than others or maybe the thomson has had its day. If the supplied router was still in warranty I would have sent you a new one; not that that is the definite reason, just that it would have been an option to try.
Jojo Smiley
donne
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, JoJo.  I've been reading around in this forum and checked the performance I should get using the kitz calculator which was suggested in another thread.  For the down attenuation of 33dB reported by the Thomson, the kitz calculator suggests an IP profile of 6500 whereas the BT speedtester reports an IP profile of 4500, as I said in my initial post.  Why should there be this discrepancy?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi donne,
The IP profile is set depending on the router sync rate so in order to get 6500 profile your router would need to sync at 7392Kbps or above. This could possibly be due to the router, but there are many other factors that may contribute also. Visit our troubleshooter for some other possibilites.
Jojo Smiley