cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router on its last legs, or line fault ?

JamesM
Grafter

Router on its last legs, or line fault ?

My sync rate is around 13000, my ping is allways 5 ms, and my speed usually sits around 11 Mbps. The last 2 days my speed has been crazy. Going from 7 Mbps up to 24 Mbps. Ping has gone from 5 ms up to 26 ms.
Doing a speed test the speed sits at 2 to 3 Mbps for around 7 seconds, shoots up to 70 + Mbps, then drops back to 20+. I have changed gateways, restarted my router, my exchange is green.

4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Router on its last legs, or line fault ?

Maybe it's speedtest.net?  How long has your router held it current sync rate?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Have you put any new anti virus / security software on? I think kaspersky used to mess up such results.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks for the replies,
My connection has been up for weeks ReedRichards, apart from the odd Peer terminate.
Nice one dvorak, I have been using AVG free for years but after my last format, after I put AVG on it refused to download anything, for example skype,it would get to 98% then would say it couldn't download it, same as with the new intel ethernet drivers. So I put Kaspersky on which was free with my motherboard disk. I have put AVG free back on and the speed test is back to normal.

Thanks, again.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you haven't tried it you might quite like Microsoft Security Essentials? It's lightweight, fast and nag free, or at least I've found it to be so. Just a suggestion though.