Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router / modem reboot over internet

Cholek3
Grafter

Router / modem reboot over internet

Hi guys,
Got an issue and need help. I use my own router at home, which recently is dropping connection and I have to log in to it and connect manually, although "connect automatically" is selected. That's not the major concern when I am at home, but now I am away for 2 weeks, meaning I cannot connect to my server or ipcamera at home. I know more than likely there isn't any way I can do it remotely, but is plusnet capable of doing such thing somehow over the line? Normally I would send somebody just to unplug the power cord, but I cannot do that either at present. Any other suggestions welcome.
Regards.
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Router / modem reboot over internet

Hi,
I assume you have a fixed IP address?  You could try mapping a port known to you to port 80 on the routers LAN address.  You can the access the admin interface at your.ip.address:portno
Why though do you need to reset it so frequently?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cholek3
Grafter

No, I don't have fixed IP, I use no-ip.org. The problem is my router disconnected from Internet (if I logged in now through LAN,  it would say Disconnected, IP address was 0.0.0.0, etc.). That's why I would like to know if Plusnet could do something over the line?
I don't know why router is disconnecting, when I will have time I will try the one supplied by Plusnet for a while, at least I will  know what is causing constant disconnections (router or something not on my end). It happens irregularly. 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In that state, there is no connection to PlusNET (or that matter anywhere else) over which PlusNET or anyone could poke the router.  If what you are suggesting is the the PPP session has died, but synch is being maintained, then the cause of PPP loss needs investigation.
Some (older) routers have a disconnect on idle which causes the PPP session to be closed - does your router have such on option enabled?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cholek3
Grafter

Correct me if I am wrong, but if there was no sync, I would have to reboot the modem as well? Usually what I have to do is just log in to my router and click Connect again to connect. I won't be able to tell you now if I have the mentioned option to end ppp session after certain time. If I have, I am almost certain, I would set it to Never.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I think what really needs to be addressed is why there is no synch and therefore giving rise to the need to power cycle the router.  In such a state there router would be totally inaccessible remotely.
If the router is in synch but there is no PPP session being established, then there is still no access to the router.  If it synchs up a PPP session should be automatically established.
May be you should try using the PN supplied router to see if the problem goes away, as there is no way to do what you ask in the circumstances you describe.

Cholek3
Grafter

Yes, I will do that. I will rectify the issue that way. Although to be sure 100%, I am gonna have to do it for approx 2 months.
louialive
Grafter

You could always fit a timer to the router and set it to power off and on each day until you can resolve the problem
Cholek3
Grafter

I though about it, but would it not raise the flag in Plusnet? Such often disconnections? 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I thought about louialive's idea (really out of the box thinking) but dismissed it as a bit drastic - it is likely to hit the box when you do not want it and not hit it when it you need it.
If this is a route considered acceptable, then go download routerstats and configure the synch lost alarm to restart the router.  Leave it running on a PC 24x7... however be aware that (at least with TG258n) it can "loose" internal messages so the router can think synch has been lost when in fact it has not.

Cholek3
Grafter

Because there is nothing I can do remotely, I will report back when I come back home. Thanks for all suggestions. Much appreciated.