cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router manual

Jedrzej

Router manual

Hi
Is there a router manual for TG582n explaining how read the connections stats:Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.5 / 28.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.0 / 8.8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 236,759
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

For e.g. what's the Loss of signal (local) ?
Thanks,
J
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router manual

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

LoS means you've lost sync at some point - the Uptime will tell you how long ago. You've either just unplugged the TG582n from the line (unwise) or you've had a dropped connection for some other reason, or maybe a line test was carried out if you have a current fault raised.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you post the speeds as I suspect - if you are on 21CN - that your upstream needs uncapping
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I can't see the sync speeds on those stats.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

that is why I asked to see them - look at the upstream noise margin
Jedrzej

Full stats are:
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 9,722
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.2 / 8.9
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 13 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,026,533
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 52

There might have been a line test carried out recently (perhaps that's what the loss of signal is). The router was up for 20hrs now (not a new installation).
Thanks,
J.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

LoF and LoS have not increased since your last posted stats so I wouldn't be concerned about those.
Error Seconds are very low at 13 (local), the tg582n tends to over report this, it's no unusual to see this in the 100's or 1000's depending on how long the connection has been up.
The main thing on those stats is your upload speed is locked at 444Kbps, ask Plusnet to unlock the upload speed and you should then see it around 1Mbps.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We can't change the upstream at this moment in time due to circumstances on the account currently.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

@Jedrzej
When you post fill stats, always include the Uptime.
If you've recently had a fault and that's been resolved, considering the low error rate then an SNR Reset with an uncapped upstream would be best. If you are a Gamer, ask for Interleaving to be Off as well.
Tony, obviously DPA I assume prevents you from giving the detail of the "problem", but when it's resolved, I'd suggest as above.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You should have uncapped upload by this time tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Jedrzej

I've asked to have my IP profile reset, which I believe was done.
The router now reconnected at much faster speed:
Uptime: 0 days, 6:38:49
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 15,373
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 584.19 / 11.51
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.5 / 6.1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 27 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3,455 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 36,870
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 41,677
I can see a noise margin is a bit low on the down speed so it will probably drop a bit in the coming days.
However, if the router is connected at 15Mbps shouldn't the speed test come back with the similar speed?
When I run a speed test it still gets around 6.9Mbps/384kbps.
Thanks,
J.
Anotherone
Champion

Your downstream SNRM is fine at the present time. What will be the deciding factor will be how much noise the line sees after dusk due to increased AM/MW propagation as well as any other interference that may crop up at anytime. If noise increases too much and the SNRM drops too low, then sync will drop and you'll resycn at a slower speed.
When your sync speed changes, so does your IP Profile. btw it wasn't your IP profile that was reset it will have been an SNR Reset which sets everything back to default. However this wasn't done with an uncapped Upstream which is why the US speed is only 443kbps (and the larger SNRM that goes with that). If you request it to be uncapped the Target SNRM will then be 6dB for the US, as the DS currently is.
On a 21CN connection such as yours, the IP profile is 88.2% of the sync speed. You can check it by running the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. You can Copy and Paste of the results in post here (no need to grab an image).
Your Current Line speed (Login required) also has to match the current IP profile before you'll get the speedtest result you expect. A Delta report has to go from BT servers to Plusnet's system for this to update, and it can sometimes take a while.
Going back to the stats, because you've had an SNR Reset, the default setting means no Interleaving, so you'll note there is no FEC count. In these situations CRC count is always higher. However that CRC count for the Uptime is very high, so I'd expect the automatic exchange DLM to turn on Interleaving to stabilise things at some point. When this happens the connection is dropped and the speed you get will depend on noise levels at the time.
One other tip for now, when things are not quite what you expect, don't go randomly rebooting the modem/router. The DLM will think you have a dropping connection, and if you already have that happening occasionally it will raise the Target SNRM resulting in slower speed.