cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router making buzzing noise

Lizpeddie

Router making buzzing noise

Hi, I've had this router for approx 12 months & it is making a buzzing noise more & more often which is really annoying.
I've read previous posts about this but I don't want to do anything that reduces the speed a 3 of us are now working from home so we need it to be fast & reliable. It appears the fault is recognised & the result of supplying cheap routers. Has Plusnet upgraded its routers yet? I've tried phoning plusnet but finding it impossible to get through. Any help welcome please. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Router making buzzing noise

@Lizpeddie 

There is no new replacement for the Hub One. If you ring in they will tell you that the noise is 'within limits' and probably suggest that you buy a new one for an outrageous £99.

A better solution would be to buy a BT Smarthub for about £20 from an auction site such as Ebay. They have better performance and are silent. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lizpeddie

Thanks very much for your advice @Baldrick1. I think I'll get a new router as you suggest.
Lizpeddie

Can I just heck please, does it need to be a business smarthub 6? Or just a smart hub 6
Thanks
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Lizpeddie 

Both work fine. With the Business version you have more control options like you can select DNS servers rather than use Plusnet’s.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'