Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router limited to 26Mbps and 5.5 "Actual Speed"

hanif248
Dabbler

Router limited to 26Mbps and 5.5 "Actual Speed"

Hi all,
New to PlusNet, just joined the Unlimited Fibre plan and my "10-day speed optimisation" window has just finished. However, I am not happy with it. I have a Technicolour TG582N FTTC
When connected via Ethernet cable, I get the full 70Mbps pumping into my laptop. However, via Wifi, even sitting right next to it, I am barely getting around 25Mbps.
When I go upstairs with my laptop, where I used to get speeds of around 7Mbps using regular good old fashioned brodband, I get around 0.5Mbps - 2Mbps; hardly enough to stream YouTube.
I now have blackspots in my flat where there were none before, and where I can get a signal - it's slower than regular broadband.
I've already had my router replaced once (I've barely been with the company two weeks) after going through all the troubleshooting steps, (wireless channel, my laptop, my PC, my phone, configuration, placement etc), and the issue persists. I have however, noticed that this may be a restriction of the router itself and would like to get your opinion on the matter.
See this screenshot I have taken off the PlusNet website (I am at work, so I am unable to provide my own screenshots)

The box in red shows the speed is up to 130Mbps - however the router I have at home (same model) says 26Mbps. Am I correct in saying that my router is limited to 26Mbps? That I am never going to utilise the full speed via wifi?
Another screenshot:
In the middle where it says "Actual Speed" - the screen shot shows: 130 Mbps - my one says 5 (five).
I can provide screen shots of this when I go home to verify - but I believe I am being badly bumped here by being given a terrible router that is worse than normal broadband.
I'm still within my normal "cooling-off period", so if this can't be fixed or a more powerful router provided - then I guess I'll just head on off to Sky (who provide a free repeater now...)
I look forward to your thoughts.
PS I called Customer Services, after 41 minutes on hold yesterday, I got cut off automatically.
12 REPLIES 12
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Router limited to 26Mbps and 5.5 "Actual Speed"

Have you got it set to use 802.11N Wifi? Is your own kit 802.11n?
802.11g also called 54g will top out arournd 25Mbps throughput.
I can't offer specific advice on how to check this with that router as I chose to use my own rather than take the free one.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That was also my thinking, I wonder if any of your wireless devices are connections at b/g speeds and causing it to be slower.
When you were seeing higher wireless speeds, was that using the same router or a different one?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hanif248
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
That was also my thinking, I wonder if any of your wireless devices are connections at b/g speeds and causing it to be slower.
When you were seeing higher wireless speeds, was that using the same router or a different one?

Same PlusNet router - but by higher wireless speeds it was only around 25Mbps standing right next to it. I used both my phone and my laptop to do speed tests via wifi (not concurrently) - isolated each time - and I know both are capable of utilising fibre speeds as I connect to a 100Mbps+ connection at work just fine and the speedtests reflect this.
And if by higher wireless speeds you mean BEFORE I moved to Plusnet, then it was using the Sky Router from before when I was on regular broadband.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

At work, do you use a wired or a wireless connection?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hanif248
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
At work, do you use a wired or a wireless connection?

Both - I achieve high speeds on both wireless and ethernet cable on my laptop, and high speeds on my phone too.
ChrisBunton

You should be aware that the Plusnet router (in common with most ISP routers) is a relatively low quality router that rates poorly on test. It retails at about £30, whereas good quality routers will be at least double that. For instance, it only uses single channel wifi on 802.11n, whereas the standard these days is dual channel. (You should also check that your laptop supports dual channel). If you want to achieve the full 70mbps bandwidth via wifi you might be well advised to invest in a decent router. If you do get a new router, make sure it has the ability to link to BT fibre modem, not just adls2+.
As for the Plusnet support - the best of luck. I am 67 days into Plusnet service and not only is my voice line not working properly but I cannot get them to talk to me - even by writing to the CEO. I wish I knew that before I signed up.
Good luck
Chris
hanif248
Dabbler

Cheers for your comments. If it looks like I won't be able to get a decent service from the router (which is all I need really), then I'll have to make an executive decision about staying on quite rapidly.
I reserved a new router already just in-case, but hopefully this'll be resolved without me needing to purchase one.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There are a lot of people on here who are using their own routers instead of the Plusnet supplied one. ASUS seem pretty popular.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@ChrisBunton
Really sorry for the runaround you've had there. I've just got the orders placed for Voice mail and Caller Display so they should be active by the end of the day tomorrow.
There's a problem on your account which means that the telephone side of things haven't been activated. I've taken steps for our Billing Team to resolve this issue under Task: 409545.
Again, apologies that we've not been as proactive as we could have been in getting things sorted out for you sooner.
hanif248
Dabbler

Chris,
Is there anyway to modify the router to ensure it is always broadcasting at the highest possible speeds?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#w300
hanif248
Dabbler

This, I can verify, has been useful but I'm still getting speeds of only 35Mbps standing right next to it and there are still blind spots in my room where there were none before.
dick:quote