cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router, left on or off ?

fishplate

Router, left on or off ?

Hi all, quick question please, should I leave my router on 24/7 or turn it off when I don`t use it ?
I go online 2 to 3 times a day on average.
Many thanks, Pete.  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
robin35
Grafter

Re: Router, left on or off ?

Leave on
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As long as it has ventilation and it is not sitting on carpet as they do get hot, it is better to leave them running.  I have an old screw driver bit box that mine sits on as a heatsink, as I do leave it running constantly.  Only exception is if I am going away for more than 2 days.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
sannyu
Hooked

What about for FTTC?
Since the openreach modem is always on and connected can the router be turned off without the exchange thinking there has been a disconnection (even though with dynamic IP, everytime just the router is turned off or restarted the IP changes)?
picbits
Rising Star

It's worth just leaving it on.
It will cost you around £5 extra a year in electricity but that is about it. Probably around £2.50 of that extra won't be wasted as it will be heating your house a little during the winter months.
Compared to potential problems with DLM kicking in, I wouldn't say it's worth the hassle of turning it on / off all the time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leave it ON !
Beware though if you have a cat - http://catsonrouters.com/  Roll_eyes
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

If the system has found your optimum speed, would it not make any difference if you switch off (and on) the router ? - i.e. if you've left it on for more than 10 days, would it be ok to switch off at night ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The DLM system is always monitoring the line, not just during the first 10 days.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The effect of DLM is very dependent on how individual lines react, so the generalized advice is leave modems on.
My line HATES being switched off for more than a few hours. 
If I disconnect the PPP session cleanly using the router interface, wait 30 minutes and then power down, and then leave it switched off for a couple of days, then the next time the modem/router powers on I might get a tenth of my previous speed.
The only way to get my full line speed back is to leave the modem/router switched on and undisturbed for three to ten days.
However most people don't suffer such extreme problems, so you can try switching off if you like, but I don't understand everyones overwhelming urge to switch the modem/gateway off overnight, as leaving it on should give your line it's best performance because an always on connection is likely to be a stable connection.
The only time I switch mine off now, is when there is a particularly bad thunderstorm.
Many people on this forum (including me) protect our modem/routers with uninterruptable power supplies (UPS), so our connections don't even drop when there is a power cut !.  Because of this long term stability, my line trains DML to give me the maximum possible sync speeds.
My advice is always leave it switched on, and at least use a surge protected mains lead to power it.
sannyu
Hooked

I am talking turning off (or even just restarting) the router only, not the modem.
On FTTC the modem and router are seperate and DLM is always on.
jim:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

On FTTC, as long as the modem remains powered, then my understanding is that you can do what you like with the router, as that has no bearing on the synchronization of the VDSL line.
I still don't see the point in switching the fibre router off, as it will take a minute or two to boot and connect, before you can start switching your networked devices on and get a clean DHCP configuration from the router.  Why not leave the router on so you can connect to it at will.