cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router late for Fibre Activation. No Internet! Waaahh!

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Router late for Fibre Activation. No Internet! Waaahh!

First, to get this out the way.  This is not a PN-bashing post.  Whatever happened is most likely out of Plusnet's control.  It's just something to be aware of if you're moving over to fibre and you've requested a router from PN.
The engineer arrived yesterday, with instructions to only activate the line.  No setting up (obviously, as I'm a PN customer and he's BT).  Unfortunately the router I ordered from PN hadn't arrived.
He was very helpful and said he had a spare PN router in the van that he could use, so long as PN authorised it.  We rang Support and they okayed it.  Unfortunately I did find out that the reason the router hadn't arrived was that PN have been having stock problems, and it was actually being posted that day (Monday 24th).  So sadly I'm looking at 3-5 days before it arrives.  Bad time to have no internet with two kids at home for half-term, and especially since one of them is undergoing chemotherapy so relies on XBoxLive & Facebook to keep in touch with friends.
Also, sadly the engineer's router turned out to be a standard Thompson ADSL, so that was no good either.  We'll just have to wait.
So, if you're expecting an engineer visit in week or so, ring PN on the 0800 number and get them to confirm if you've requested a router, whether it's been posted, and when it's likely to arrive.  If you're absolutely unable to be without a connection for up to a week, then you might have to buy your own router and keep the PN one when it arrives as a spare.
The BT engineer was pretty miffed because my house was the first PN upgrade he'd ever done and he wanted to find out what equipment PN send and how to set it up!
As I said, this isn't PN's fault (well, it might be, or it might simply be that they've been let down by their suppliers).  Whatever the reason they apologised and knocked a week off my next bill, so I have no beef with them.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
4 REPLIES 4
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Re: Router late for Fibre Activation. No Internet! Waaahh!

The wife's just phoned me from home.  The router has been dropped off by courier, so many thanks to PN for sorting this out for me asap.  Now where's that setup guide....
A tortoise? What's that?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry for any inconvenience the slight delay may have caused you.
To my personal awareness we did have an issue with stock just over a week ago that had been resolved so I didn't expect to see any one else affected by stock issues so thanks for bringing this to our attention.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Adam.  I'd guess that the chances of this happening to anyone else are pretty slim, but it's well to be aware in case it's you!
I've only had broadband for about 9 years, but the kids have had it all their lives so they really can't cope with loss of connectivity.  Thank God oldest is only a 13 year old boy. If he'd been a 15 year old girl the house would have been unbearable!  As it is, I did look in on him last night to find him sitting on his bed staring mournfully at the Xbox lol.

On the upside I should  still be able to flog my old ADSL Netgear.  Wink
On the downside I'll probably only get about a tenner for it.  Sad
Ah well.  Onward and upward...

Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It's very odd that your router was late.  The issues we had really shouldn't have caused that. I'll get our stock gurus to have a look and work out what's happened in case we've another issue somewhere.  (of course, I'm not a stock guru so I could be wrong!)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager