cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps cutting out, static on the line. help

Merrick
Grafter

Router keeps cutting out, static on the line. help

My router keeps cutting out, ive got static on the line when listening to it through the phone.
I've tried a BT online fault test and it says theres nothing wrong with line but clearly there is.
What should i try next?
22 REPLIES 22
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router keeps cutting out, static on the line. help

See if you get static on the line without the router plugged in. If so, try it with just one phone in the master socket. If the noise is still present you have a fault on the phone line that needs to be reported to your phone provider, if not then it's an issue with either one of the phones/router or possibly the extension wiring.
Hope that helps,
Mike_Grice
Grafter

My money is on broken microfilters.
Gricey.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

What causes a microfilter to 'break'? No moving parts, nothing to wear out, not used in harsh environment. Yet they seem to be a frequent cause of connection/speed problems?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Merrick
Grafter

i did a speed check when the line was running for more than 5 secs and its droped from a steady 5.5-6 mbs from the last few years to 3mbs.
i will see if i have a spare microfilter and try that.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: maranello

What causes a microfilter to 'break'? No moving parts, nothing to wear out, not used in harsh environment. Yet they seem to be a frequent cause of connection/speed problems?

Capacitors.
Merrick
Grafter

Ok i swapped out the micro filters and tried to connect and also listened to the phone line. Still  got static but i can connect with the odd random drop out. Getting connected first time seems to be the problem, takes ages for the DSL light to come up and it flashes a lot and then goes out a few times before sticking on.
I plugged my phone (wireless type) direct into the master socket and into the test socket with no other equipment plugged in. Still static can be heard.
I removed my phone from the setup so it was just my router plugged into the line and kept the new filters in place and then replced them with the old ones, Router didnt connect to net properly either way, kept trying and failing ot connecting and dropping.
I then plugged a normal wired phone into the line, and then into the test socket, with no other equipment attached and..... no static..... so i'm thinking it cant be the line... so what is it  Cheesy
I then connected everything back together, new filters, wired phone etc and tested the line again. Router still wont connect properly or drops, but cant hear any static.
Until last thursday i had never had any of these problems in 2-3 years i've been with PN, connection has been perfect. The drop in speed from 5-6mbs to just 3, and with static on the line through the wirless phone at least, made me think it was the external line but not being able to hear the static through a wired phone has really thrown me.
The times of day i get the most disconects and connection problems are around 0700 and 1700.
HPsauce
Pro

You can't test with a powered/DECT phone, you need to use a plain old corded unpowered phone in the test socket. Then dial 17070 choose option 2 and listen carefully.
Merrick
Grafter

i tested it with a cored phone (par 4) but didnt know about the number, will try that.
Thanks
Merrick
Grafter

I tested the line as suggested and have a hum that rises and lowers in pitch and an occasional burst of crackling.
Surly this has got to be the external line?
BT claim the line is fine...... but I've tested everything they have suggest and i can think of. Engineer coming but they keep telling me its going to cost at least £100 if im wrong. Thats a lot of cash  Sad
Should the test you suggested have the line completely silent? or is there still some kind of constant hum anyway and should be listening for crackling?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Merrick
I tested the line as suggested and have a hum that rises and lowers in pitch and an occasional burst of crackling.

If that's with absolutely everything disconnected (except the corded phone) and in the Test Socket it's definitely a fault.
paulby
Grafter

Remember, when you raise a fault with your landline provider (especially if it's BT), not to mention any broadband problems.  Raise it as a voice problem only, stating that you've got crackling on the line.
If you mention broadband, BT have a habit of passing you back to your ISP.   
Merrick
Grafter

Thanks for the info  Smiley
I'm now convinced it has to be a line fault, theres just nothing else it can be.
Its too random as well to be faulty equipment, as this morning, and at times over the weekend, i could get on for random amounts of time before disconection. Faulty hardware would mostly likely cause a constant fault.
Hope my thinking is correct  Smiley
Thanks for your help.
repcomms
Grafter

Hi,
I have exactly the same symptoms and have been through the same with BT re £100 call out if no fault found.  I used to get 6MB/s and it has dropped down to 500kB/s.  I have tried 2 different microfilters with no difference in performance. I also notice that the line DSL connection drops out if I have an incoming call or I make an outgoing one.  This is presumably with the DC on the line while going On/Off hook.  The line is quite quiet with one phone plugged into the master socket.
The additional symptoms I am getting is that while listening to the 17070 quiet line test on the phone I can hear the ADSL Modem Voyager 2110 retraining and locking back in again.
I dont really want to purchase a new ADSL modem only to go through the same scenario all over again.
Has anyone else in this situation bitten the bullet and called BT out ?Huh
Thanks
Bob
paulby
Grafter

I can hear the ADSL Modem Voyager 2110 retraining and locking back in again

Ths is usually indicative of a faulty microfilter or that your phone isn't plugged into the phone socket of a microilter. 
You need to have a microfilter in every socket where you have something connected - that includes Sky boxes, answering machines and extension phones. 
If you already have everything filtered, then it may be worth trying some better filters (assuming you're using the ones that came with your router).  Ones worth trying are these from ADSL Nation.