cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router is this normal

Bjn
Grafter

Router is this normal

I've just noticed today that there are brown burn like marks on the top air vent holes of my router as though the plastic had been burnt. Is this normal or is it showing signs that there maybe a serious overheating problem of the router. It's a standard fibre plusnet router and the marks are on the top surface on the left hand side as you face the router.
Advice would be welcome
Bjn
11 REPLIES 11
Pyrii
Grafter

Re: Router is this normal

That sounds like a serious problem, is this the Plusnet router or BT openreach modem?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll contact the products team and get this back here so we can take a look, we'll also get a new router dispatched asap.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bjn
Grafter

thanks Chris for the reply and dispatch of new router, will keep an eye on it seems very hot in that area. It lives out of the way on a small table in corner of room where I don't venture to often. My wife has just arrived home and informed me that we had a few power outages during the day last week where the mains supply went off for a few seconds maybe the router has been damaged?
@pyrii it's the plusnet router BT modem OK
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's possible that the power cuts have caused it, however we'll have a look and see what's going on when it's back with us.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Routefinder
Grafter

Just a thought & IMO word of wisdom Wink
I think some (a lot?) of folk just the sit their routers flat on a surface and said surface may have a soft mat, now if on a soft mat this to me a is recipe for disaster because the air needs to circulate fully around the box and sitting on a soft mat means no air gets under it!  All electronic kit lives longer and gives less trouble when it allowed to cool properly.  FWIW I like that my Netgear has clipon stands that mean it can be stood end on.................great for allowing it to be as cool as it is ever likely to be Cheesy
Pyrii
Grafter

Well carpets also are good at storing heat, where as walls etc are more likely to stay cool, and allow some degree of airflow.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try Dr.Cool !  - 
>
    Crazy
Routefinder
Grafter

Quote from: Pyrii
Well carpets also are good at storing heat,

Also why I would never think of putting a computer on a carpet covered floor because it will end 'vacuuming' up so much carpet dust....................having said that even on a hardwood floor the chances are that given enough time any dust around would end up in the PC case  Cheesy Angry
But yes if the Router for example has wall mounting slots then that is one way to keep them as cool as possible and out of harms way!
Roberto0151
Grafter

FWIW I stand my router on four rubber feet (fixed with blue tack) which give an extra half centimeter or so of air space under the router.
It's a standard Plusnet Thomson router and seems to stay reasonably cool.
Pyrii
Grafter

Yeah my Billion 7800N has aerials on 3 sides so I can only stand it horizontally and it does get pretty warm, but no cooking yet. The Openreach modem is pinned against the wall on it's side for now.
If I could, I would get the Thompson/Technicolour POS PN made me pay for, and set it on fire. Dancing round it with glee.
Bjn
Grafter

Well for information this router has been elevated above the surface of the side table it sits on  with a inch clearance below (lego has it's uses), so plenty of air flow. These routers seem to run hot even with good all round clearance, well allot hotter than my old netgear from sky or even the same Thomson router from O2 it replaced.
New router apparently on it's way thanks to Chris and Heather.