cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router>Ethernet>Modem pppoe or pppoa

tonycollinet
Grafter

Router>Ethernet>Modem pppoe or pppoa

Last night, I tried to connect to plusnet (ADSL2+) via a modem (Actually a netgear DG384G configured in modem only mode) connected to the router via ethernet. The modem made a connection fine, but I could not get the router to log on and access the internet.

The router has an extenal modem mode via one of the LAN ports, but it is only possible to select PPPoe (PPP over ethernet), and at least as far as the plusnet settings pages are concerned, ADSL2+ requried PPPoa. Am I stuffed, without a PPPoa setting in the router, or should the modem be translating PPPoe to PPPoa?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Router>Ethernet>Modem pppoe or pppoa

[Edit[ Original post deleted in favour of the post from Mister W below
I'm sure you've seen this:
http://vpncasestudy.com/download/DG/DG834_Tips100.pdf
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

In modem mode I would not expect the DG834 to do any authentication. You would need to set your router to pppoe with your PlusNet username/password. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonycollinet
Grafter

Yes, saw link above - in fact that's where I found out how to configure the netgear as a modem.
I tried PPPoe with authentication in the router, but it failed to connect. Logs suggested it "timed out while sending settings", and then "hung up modem" before retrying ad infinitum.

I assumed that because plusnet requires PPPoa for ADSL2, that PPPoe was incompatible in some way.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Nope, pppoe is the normal way to connect using a router connected via a modem.
That's exactly how fttc works with the BT modem.
What make/model router are you using ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonycollinet
Grafter

asus dsl-n55u.
Latest firmware has dual wan capability, one of which can be a lan port
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: tonyAtplus
Last night, I tried to connect to plusnet (ADSL2+) via a modem (Actually a netgear DG384G configured in modem only mode) connected to the router via ethernet.

Why?
Couldn't you configure the adsl connection inn the DG as normal, disable DHCP and wireless and just set it to forward everything to the ASUS?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tonycollinet
Grafter

Possibly - if I had the first clue how to make that work on both devices.  Cheesy
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I just cascade a router from a modem-router, mainly because it's easier and I still get the modem stats. All that's needed is to set the router WAN interface for dynamic IP and set different net addresses ( eg 192.168.1.x and 192.168.4.x ) for DHCP in the two devices.
The router has an extenal modem mode via one of the LAN ports, but it is only possible to select PPPoe (PPP over ethernet).

So, if I read that correctly, you have a Netgear modem-router configured as a modem only and a second modem-router configured as a router only (indicated by the red text above).
Logs suggested it "timed out while sending settings", and then "hung up modem" before retrying ad infinitum.

This supports the above and indicates that the second modem-router is still trying to use it's modem, so has not reconfigured (assuming it is from the second device)
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
tonycollinet
Grafter

EDIT - Posted in wrong thread.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I tend to agree with PeeGee, sounds like you need some more configuration on the 55u to make it use the WAN port.

tonycollinet
Grafter

OK - I'll try throwing some screen shots up somewhere, to see if anyones got any suggestions.