Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router glitch ?

Tomplus73
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router glitch ?

Odd thing happened yesterday. Had been online for an hour or so...went out for abit and when back,noticed I'd lost connection on downstairs PC.
I have one PC upstarirs and one down,both connected via cable. I tried the PC upstairs and it was ok and assumed,the very long cable,which connects to ground floor was faulty. I also have an old Laptop. I tried connecting that to router upstairs using short cable and saw that was not working........after abit more faffing about,saw the other PC had now no connection.
So,I re-booted router,(its a bog standard Thomson, which Ive had nearly 2 years,with 4 ethernet ports + wireless,which I'm not using at the moment.).........and every things now  fine.
I have an old  BT Voyager 2091 router,I assume I could use this IF,my PLusnet supplied router,plays up again soon.........and dies....and I have to wait a few days for Plus to send me a new one ?
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router glitch ?

Hi Tomplus73,
Don't see why you can't use that router if required. When you say the router is on a long cable, if this is an extension cable from the main socket then this could cause problems of its own.
Jojo Smiley
Tomplus73
Rising Star

The PC in living room (where I'm doing this now) is fed by LONG cable from router upstairs,but its been trouble free for  nearly 2 years.....my first thought yesterday,was that the ethernet cable,which is an old one,had gone open circuit..but then I lost connections from other Router outputs to other machines ........................
after re-boooting router  (TG585) everything seems fine...........for now !?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Tomplus73,
what I mean is if you have the router upstairs what phone socket is it connected to? An extension? Normally thy master socket is downstairs.
Jojo Smiley
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Yes that correct,the router is upstairs,and the Master socket,is downstairs.but surely if that was affecting it,it would have done so,earlier not after nearly TWO YEARS ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Tomplus73
but surely if that was affecting it,it would have done so,earlier not after nearly TWO YEARS ?

That depends, anything could have happened to cause that. unfortunately the only way to conclusively prove that would be to plug the router into the main socket and not via an exension.
Jojo Smiley
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Ok,thanks...................been ok now for 2-3 days,so will see what pans out Kiss
the only other thing,is its in a spare bedroom,or at least its "spare" at the mo,and has got cold,due to little use of late BUT,ofcourse the router does get warm,so should have thought,relative cold,(as Einstein might have said  ;D) wasnt an issue ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not necessarily the cold, unfortunately electrical kit (even wiring) does degrade over time and things can change without any sort of intervention unfortunately.
If it does slow down again we'd definitely recommend trying it in the master socket, or even better the test socket behind the master socket front plate, as this will remove any internal wiring as a possible cause of the slowdowns.
If at all possible it's generally better to have as little phone wiring in the circuit as possible and to use ethernet cables for the longer distances, as that's much less likely to slow things down.
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Oh ok...thanks, it wasnt a case of "slowing down" .......................................one,then two and then possible 3 of the four ports just stopped,ie no two way communication...........did a re-boot and its fine.obviously with a re think,could stick router in the hall v near Master socket and then just re-route......... pun intended................................... the ethernet cables.....anyway see how it goes..........................