Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router forgetting static assigned IP address

behaviourneeds
Grafter

Router forgetting static assigned IP address

Hi.
We have the standard Technicolor router in our office that works just fine (normally)  we also have a printer networked to the router using a static IP address that is set in the printer and the router.
Every now and again the router seems to forget that the printer ip address is static and assigns elsewhere.  This normally happens when we come into the office in the morning and switch the computers/printer on but can also happen during the day - the printer suddenly complains that its ip address is in use elsewhere and to contact support.
We have tried hard resetting the router, confirming the ip address is set to fixed in the router and printer.  Its not always the same bit of equipment that claims the ip address either, today was my computer, yesterday was a colleagues phone!.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Router forgetting static assigned IP address

I use a static setup, for this you would need to asign static ip's to all items which can be a pain, and then turn off dhcp.
I assume you are using the always use this ip address option in the router ?
what ip are you giving the printer, is it above 192.168.1.64, if so try using something from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63, i think this falls outside the DHCP pool.
behaviourneeds
Grafter

The printer IP address is 192.168.1.130 so you reckon if I change the ip address to something in the lower half of the range it should behave better.
Its worth a shot.
Thanks
Chris
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

There is no harm in trying, npr has some great info on his site, have a mooch if you get chance http://npr.me.uk/
This tutorial is worth a look as well http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/13805 I had to force an ip for my samknows box using a separate DHCP pool because you can't get access to box to set a static ip.
Anyway, good luck.