cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? Router fault - regularly dropping connection

Interested
Grafter

? Router fault - regularly dropping connection

I currently have a TP Link Archer D5 router which was purchased last November from a high street retailer.
I have been experiencing regular internet drop outs which every day or so require me to reset my router to regain internet access. I also experience regular, approximately ever 20 minutes, drop outs of internet connection which then just come back online without any reset after a minute or two. I have tested my phone line, which states there are no problems but does has a slight crackle, am uncertain if this due to my wired handset telephone lead, as the crackle occurs if I move the phone whether on hands-free or handset. I also on two occasions have heard quiet computer type sounds down the phone line both before and after replacing my adsl/ landline filter with a new belkin filter.
Is my router likely to be at fault or is it likely to be something else causing my internet to drop out which is far more annoying than a slight crackle on the phone or faint computer dial tones on the landline?
Advice would be much appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
jim13
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: ? Router fault - regularly dropping connection

I am currently having similar difficulties . Frequent dropouts and resets initially, then after I reported this - May 7th - a continuation of the dropouts with a 50% dip in download speed as an added bonus !
Apparently Open Reach engineers are working on this at my local exchange, but as it is already running over capacity I fear there is little they can do.
Hope you find a better resolution to your own problem.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Interested
I can see you've reported a noisy line through our online troubleshooter and it hasn't found a issue. Out of interest is the noise still present if you turn the router off and disconnect it from the phone line?
@jim13
Your fault is with our Faults team and we're due a update later on today. As soon as we have it they'll update you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Interested
Grafter

Will try phone directly into master socket shortly. However crackling is intermittent. I had to phone a UK call centre today around 12 noon and the crackling was especially bad at times, was on for around 35 minutes at other times it was hardly noticeable. I also phoned London at the weekend and the line wasn't great. My partner reported tonight around 6pm was also poor on the phone to just 10 miles away, but calling a couple of streets away to the garage around 5pm was very clear.
Interested
Grafter

Without disconnecting to master socket the dial tone seems clear, but if left until the "please hang up and try again" message a moderate crackle can be heard. Once my daughter has finished on internet which has been up and stable  for 30 minutes now with a PPPoE internet connection will try master socket (I usually set to PPPoA when configuring but thought I'd try automatic configuration which decided to set at PPPoE it has been stable for longer than the last few days.
Interested
Grafter

OK internet was up for an hour then lost connection. Plugged phone into master socket and the crackle was about the same as earlier, faint to moderate. I do not have a new wired phone or spare router at present.
I have now manually reconfigured to PPPoA internet connection.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Our faults team should be getting around to the phone fault you reported today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Interested
Grafter

Thanks they have done.
Tried test socket and crackle still persisting. I'm in work during local shop opening hours for next two days so have order replacement wires for phone in post to try that and if not will nip to "high street warehouse" chain on Saturday for cheap new wired phone.
Interested
Grafter

Crackling gone. Internet stable sine Friday morning so far according to my partner and daughter. I know it has been stable since yesterday evening.
Yesterday evening I have changed telephone cable 4 wire Bt plug to RJ11 to see if that was at fault but ended up switching back to old cable as the one I ordered wasn't compatible with my BT phone.
I know the electricity board were working at 9.30pm last night on something across the road with a big hole and apparently had been there around 12 hours but believe this is likely to be a complete coincidence.
However so far so good. As to the fault I've no idea what it was, but fingers crossed it seems to have rectified itself.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

When listening for line noise use the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2.
Router should be plugged directly into master socket, not via a flat phone extension lead.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Interested
Grafter

Sorry I'm slightly puzzled. My router is plug into my master socket via ADSL filter. When I checked for crackling I simply plugged my wired bt phone into master socket by removing the ADSL filter and also once the test socket and heard some crackling both times earlier this week.
If the problem occurs again, or when my daughter's not on the internet later today will check phone line for noise by dialling number given.
I can't see how I can plug the router into the master socket without the adsl filter?
But for now fingers crossed internet has been stable for 36 + hours and phone line much clearer to family 10 miles away.
Interested
Grafter

Internet down twice again this afternoon.
Rang 17070 option 2 and initially the crackling was rather loud then after 2 or 3 tests it became much quieter and fainter.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

That sounds like an intermittent line fault.  Report it as a line fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.