Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router fails when copying files

PoBear
Hooked

Router fails when copying files

I'm new to PlusNet.
Broadband is fine but I am having problems with my wired network.
I have my main computer plugged an Ethernet port on the PlusNet Technicolor TG582n this is then wired to a switch with another computer (HTPC) and a NAS.
The LAN operates without problem, I can see all of the other boxes and their shares and they can see my main computer, internet access works without problem as does light LAN traffic. However, as soon as I try and copy a file from one machine to another the TG582n locks up. I lose all n/w connectivity, I can't even get into the TG582n web interface, the only way out is to turn the router off and on again.
This is my second TG582n having had the first replaced for this very same problem, my original thought was that it was overheating and this may still be the same problem but I have spent the evening searching the internet and can't see anybody with a similar problem, so I am wondering If it is a problem at my end,
My old Sky modem used to the same thing occasionally and it was definitely overheating, but most of the time worked without problem.
Nothing else has changed in setup apart from the TG582n
Any ideas as it is a real pain moving files across on usb stick.
8 REPLIES 8
frank39
Grafter

Re: Router fails when copying files

I have a similar arrangement to you and I can copy files freely between devices on the LAN.  I use a TG582n with FW 10.2.1.8 and a gigabit switch.  All devices are connected to the switch, so file transfers do not pass through the router. I can recall previous configurations where I used the router wifi (I now use a centrally positioned access point) and I had no file transfer problems.
I can recall an issue a year or so ago when my router appeared unstable and, after a discussion on this forum, router temperature appeared to be a factor.  I then mounted the router vertically with some spacers to give me a 1cm gap behind the router.  This reduced the temperature significantly and stability improved (I get well over 100 days between DSL disconnects). I was unable to confirm that the router was the cause of the instability and not the work that BTOR was doing in the area.
You might like to try the above arrangement, just to confirm it, but it looks to me as if you have a duff router.
picbits
Rising Star

If you copy between the NAS and HTPC, do you have the same issue ? If you do then you may well find it is your switch rather than the router as (in theory) the network traffic shouldn't reach the router as the switch should take care of all the transfer between the two devices attached to the switch.
If it only happens between your PC and NAS or PC and HTPC then it could well be the router.
frank39
Grafter

Good point DomS, except it appears that the OP can't reach the router from his Main computer after the failure. Suggests that the router is duff or the switch is killing the router.  He/she will have to separate the variables so should connect all devices to the switch or the router and reproduce the fault.
PoBear
Hooked

Thanks for the replies.
I had considered the switch being the problem, But small files usually copy OK (the original TG582n fell over copying a single MP3!), and when copying large files the copy definitely starts, failing after about 200Mb although this is variable. I don't have any issues accessing the NAS from the other PC, all of our TV and films are held on it and it streams video for most of each evening.
I'll try positioning the TG582n vertically as a test and see what happens.
MikeTodd
Dabbler

Has anyone found a solution? I find that whenever I attempt multiple file transfers the router locks up after about a dozen files. I have tried two different sync packages as well as straight file copying via file explorer (Vista). It happens with whatever pair of computers on the network I try.
When 'locked up' the router ceases to pass through ant traffic and I think that the flashing pattern of lights on the rear of the router is different.
I am on the brink of concluding that the router is not fit for purpose but I'd like to know whether others have made it work in this way and what may be different about those circumstances.
Equally, I'd  like to know of a better product that does what I expect of it (ie work!)
picbits
Rising Star

If you hook all your machines (and router) to a switch then copy the files over a wired connection, then the traffic will not go through the router and it should not lock up. If you are copying wirelessly  though, the files will go through the router.
My 582n seems reasonably happy copying a few Gb here any there - not had any issues or lockups recently.
MikeTodd
Dabbler

Interesting - I had thought of that and tried a copy between two machines that are connected onto the same four port hub switch (thinking as you suggest). However that operation also failed in the same way as copy from one machine to a network disk which are connected via the router.
However, I have now tried the same operation with the switch disconnected from the router and this whizzes along copying all 499 files with no problem!
Suggests that the situation is more complicated than immediately is the case . . .
picbits
Rising Star

Hmmmm try assigning a static IP address / DNS server  to each machine so they don't try and use the router for the DHCP - see if that makes any difference.
You could also remove the gateway from the IP settings on each machine to see if that stops the hangups.