cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router dropoutsd

GiGo

Router dropoutsd

For the last few weeks I've experienced the router (Technicolor TG582n FTTC) not connecting to wireless devices.
It happens randomly, If I go to the garage (20ft away) I get a connection, later in the day I don't, sometimes in the morning, other times in the evening.  At the same time this happens, my Chromecast and my IP Cameras are unreachable, the router reports they are connected with a green tick in the device list, but if I go to device IP address in my browser I get nothing.  All my cabled connections work fine.  I also experience very low connection speeds on all wireless devices at the same time.
If I reset my router all returns to normal, until it happens again Sad
I have changed the channel for my wireless and it hasn't made much difference other than my wifi speed has increased a little,
Has anyone else experienced this?
Regards
GiGo
2 REPLIES 2
tooslow
Grafter

Re: Router dropoutsd

Mine used to drop out all the time. So I bought a different brand router instead...no dropouts; Read reviews of the Technicolor - they are not great, and many have the same experiences as you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Router dropoutsd

Hi GiGo,
Welcome to the forums.
There is a great deal around on the "limitations" of the TG and wifi performance, though I have not personally encountered such issues with these routers having sought to ensure that they are optimally configured.  See here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
Also download inSIDDer V3 or Acrylic Wi-Fi-free - these are Wi-Fi spectrum analysers which present a pictorial view of the Wi-Fi stations around you and can be useful in identifying the best channel for your set-up.
Co-channel is less of an issue than partial overlapping of another channel.  The recommended channels are 1, 6 or 11.  Some devices do not work well (or at all) on he European channels 12 & 13.
Note that you setting a specific channel can cause other stations to switch their channels.  This can be useful if you need to "kick" another station off an "unhelpful" channel.  So for example, if there is another station on channel 8 (making use of channel 6 untidy) temporally setting your wifi to 7 or 9 could cause that station to shift channel, so that you can change to channel 6 and avoid being overlapped.
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.