cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router disconects ....time for a replacement router???

galaxy66
Grafter

Router disconects ....time for a replacement router???

First day with Plusnet and  getting fed up with continually having to reconnect the router.
13 REPLIES 13
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router disconects

Hi there,
Our logs are only showing one disconnection since things started yesterday? If you're using a wireless connection between your PC and the router it might be worth trying with an ethernet cable as it may well be the wireless connection dropping out. If it's not, and it still hasn't settled by the time the 10 day training period is up then run through the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net
galaxy66
Grafter

Thanks for checking, I am connected via ethernet /comtrend adaptors so the problem is the router connecting with the pc. it has happened twice while trying to post this.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi galaxy66,
I'd say you may have to troubleshoot the adapters. Firstly it's worth checking whether it happens when connected just with the ethernet cable directly.
Jojo Smiley
galaxy66
Grafter

Yes it is also losing connection via wireless and when i troubleshoot it just asks me to reset and it is ok for a while then I lose it again. Never had this problem with the BT home hub on their service.
galaxy66
Grafter

OK. i am now getting fed up with having to reset the router to get it to work for a short period until the next time it happens Angry
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, if you still have your BT home hub, have u tried to use it if you think the Plusnet router is faulty?  
Just put in your supplied PN username @plusdsl.net and corresponding password into the hub and see if it will connect.  Also switch off Openzone function in the Home Hub.
I know a BT Home Hub v2 (type A) used to work on PlusNet the last time I tried a few years ago.  The firmware has probably been updated, so I can't confirm whether or not BT still allow their hubs to be used on PlusNet.  Worth a try though.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
galaxy66
Grafter

Tried it and it will not support the password Sad
dick:quote
galaxy66
Grafter

I am on a pc but now find that two other laptops I have tried do not lose their connection with the router and are much faster than my pc which should not be the case as the Pc has a far better spec than the laptops..
So do I have a similar problem to what is being described in this thread....?  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html
galaxy66
Grafter

Re: Router disconects ....time for a replacement router???

I have had enough of this, now how do I go about having a replacement router sent, I really can do without any long waits with a phone stuck on my ear especially as that is the prime reason for leaving BT. so hopefully I can have this sorted via the forum as others have.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi galaxy66,
I doubt a replacement router will just cure the issue. There's a couple of things you could try. Try setting the router's wireless encryption to WPA instead of WPA2. There's instructions on how to access the wireless settings here. Other wireless troubleshooting tips can be found here. It may also be that the wireless channel has other things being broadcast on it. You can use something like inSSIDer to find out the clearest channel to use.
Jojo Smiley
galaxy66
Grafter

Thanks Jo I have reset it to WPA  and is now browsing ok, no disconnections so far but early days, will keep you posted.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, let me know how it goes Smiley
galaxy66
Grafter

Hi Jo, everything working tickety boo now, no more disconnections, speed stable at 2 meg  but hoping it does increase over the settling in  period as i know the line is capable of more.
Thanks again, hate to imagine the hassle I would have had with BT Mumbai  trying to sort this out.
dick:quote