cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router dead

juliepaul

Router dead

Hi, think my router might be dead  Cry
I have the d-link router that came with my pro package (not sure of model it's now in a different room and I'm too lazy to look) but it suddenly stopped working tonight.  Managed to find a thomson router that was sent by a previous USP but it's a bit Pooh.  Can't put the ps3 into the dmz, not such option and it's basic to say the least.
On the d-link I just get a red power light, nothing else.  Connection is fine though through the thomson thing so I'm pretty certain it's the router.
Question is, how do I go about getting another d-link like I have?  Pretty sure I'm wayyy out of warranty period with plusnet now (joined Jan 2009) but can't see an area for ordering another one on the site anywhere.  Don't make me go to PC World to buy one or I'll cry!
I'm sure there are other (possibly better) routers but I'm quite attached to this one and it gives great coverage around the house.
14 REPLIES 14
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Router dead

Welcome to the forum,
                     When you can be bothered telling us your router model then maybe we can help you out more, So when your ready Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
juliepaul

Yeah I was a bit wobbly last night after a few drinks, frankly it's a miracle I got the other router working  Wink
Model is D-link dsl-B.
I did spot on Amazon a Dal-B but don't know if it's good or bad.  Really need one that has the ability to put things in the DMZ and that was easy with d-link so ideally the same or similar.  Might even be worth moving to one that does N wifi, we have 2 laptops in the house that support N and 2 older laptops that don't.
I'd be happy to just buy the dsl-2640B that I got when I took out plusnet but can't see an area on the site here where I can buy one.  All the places google showed them for sale were places I'd never heard of  Undecided
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It's possible that just the router's power supply has failed, in which case if you can source a replacement of the same specification it should be a lot less expensive than a new router.
juliepaul

Surely that would just stop powering the router though?
The power light stays red rather than going green, at power up the status lights flashes once or twice but that's it.  I suspect something inside the router itself.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not necessarily. The power supply is no longer delivering the correct voltage/amps/whatever, and so the router fails to initialise. Check your other power supplies to see if you have one rated the same and try it. WARNING - make sure the specs are exactly the same, including polarity, or your router will almost certainly not survive the experience!
juliepaul

I see your thinking.
I think the chances of finding another compatible power supply in the house (mostly phone's or laptops) of the same type are similar to those of me winning the lottery.  As for replacing the power supply, it seems a negative equity thing if it doesn't work because the router is only about £40 online anyway - although I've not heard of any of the places selling it.
hulls
Grafter

If it is the power supply, you might find the manufacturer will replace it free of charge.  My (very) old Belkin router PS went belly-up, and having tried a number of places locally to get a replacement, including PC World and Maplins, the nice man at staples said that Belkin replace them FOC for life!  Contacted Belkin, and they sent me a new one within a few days. (It may be worth a try)  Undecided
John
juliepaul

Cheers, probably worth a shot  Smiley  Just been reading an d-link offer a 2 year warranty if you buy it yourself so there is a little hope in that too.
After some online window shopping I might take the chance to buy the new N version of the router anyway, it's about £70 with 2 year warranty which seems fair.  I'll wait a little while though because I've submitted a ticket with plusnet to see what they say about it first.  I just spotted another thread on here from yesterday where someone has exactly the same problem with the same router and a staff member has offered them a replacement if they pay for postage and stay with plusnet for another 12 months which seems like a good deal to me!
I've just asked for the same deal in the support ticket  Smiley
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Seems it's about 2 years since the D-Links were being issued and noticing a few failures at the 2 year point - including mine.
Can confirm same fault and was the router as I used the dlink PSU to power another router.
juliepaul

Just been offered the Thomson 585v7 by plusnet if I stay for enother 12 months.  Well thanks but no thanks, read far too many poor reviews of it and no way am I getting signed up to a 12 month deal just to get a router that rubbish!  Especially because they will charge me £40 if I leave plusnet within 12 months and I can buy the Thomson far cheaper than that myself or put that money towards a better bit of kit.
Off to do some router shopping now  Smiley
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Stand and deliver, a router for your life  Grin

Netgear Dg834GT if you want basic reliability Netgear DGND3300 v2 if you want to improve your network and add network storage are my 2 current favorites.
grahamt
Rising Star

My father-in-law also had a (Plusnet-supplied) D-Link DSL2640B that died in the same way after a couple of years. He's now got one of the Thomsons, which is fine for what he uses his connection for.
My ZxXEL router's still working reliably (touch wood) after five and a half years. I'm hoping it will last another 6-9 months until FTTC comes to our area.
Graham
juliepaul

Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated  Smiley
I have a Netgear dg834gt which I was going to use as a spare but can't find the power cable lol  I also found it sometimes conflicted with the bluetooth ps3 headset, although that's hardly ever used.  Going to look up the dgnd3300 as I like Netgear stuff as a rule.
Interesting to hear so many d-links going the same way after their 2 year warranty, although I suppose it forces the issue of upgrading.  Tempted by the d-link dsl2740r which does N wifi but the house isn't big and I don't do media streaming so possibly not worth the extra.
Have just had to reset the rubbish thomson speedtouch 585 thing I am using right now because it keeps dropping my connection every 36 hours or so.
Kevster
Dabbler

Unfortunately red light often means that the router has come to its death. It can often mean the power supply or the logic in the router has failed, occasionally  hard resetting the router can help other wise its time to upgrade the old gal. I have had it with a number of routers and a printer too of my own in the past, but the my personal best is a Linksys which seems bomb proof.
Touch Wood.........