Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router danger

greyposter
Grafter

Router danger

Any comments on this article.
http://www.geekstogo.com/2008/04/08/have-a-home-router-youll-want-to-read-this/#more-449
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Case dropped on all caps title. See Forum Rules ]
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable

Re: Danger

My comments would simply be that its recommendations are not very far removed from the 'common sense' type approach recommended almost universally.
Things like changing the password for the admin console are things which should really be the first step. (Any time anybody gives you a password to use, you should change it immediately, such as then you are the only one who knows the password)
Changing the management page IP address wouldn't hurt, but simply changing the password would protect you from the attack being referred to.
Equally ensuring you specify DNS servers on your PC rather than using the ones specified by your router would offer more protection, but wouldn't be foolproof.
I'd say: Don't panic, and just make sure you use a secret password, rather than the default one. Also I'd change the name of the SSID to something which doesn't give any clues as to the make/model of your router.
Ensure you use the highest form of encryption you can if you use wireless too, and you should be safe.
greyposter
Grafter

Cheers,thought it was worth it to pass it on to 'newbies.
Not applicable

Defo worth a reminder of *why* the standard recommendations are such.
Its all too easy to think in a physical sense, that if its in your living room, its secure, when thats not always the case.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Because of this post, I have been to the PlusNet instructions department, and printed off the instructions for my router. Took about five minutes to go through the procedure, and now my router is not configured for "admin" as default password anymore...
Thanks for the warning..... might I suggest you enlarge the title of the thread to enable more people to determine its the warning in the content. Wink
greyposter
Grafter

Re: ROUTER DANGER

Done
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Router danger

mod:note
In line with the link:rules I have removed the capitals from the forum title.
The use of all capital letters in a tile or for post are considered shouting and extremity rude.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Mods
I would guess the OP forgot/didn't know Caps represented shouting and was bad netiquette and was only trying to comply with the other poster's suggestion to draw attention to this issue. As this security issue is of such vital importance, could I suggest to Mods that a Mod/someone from PN make a new thread with the geekstogo link, a concise and explicit explanation of the risk and how to deal with it (as mentioned in this thread) plus a more obvious title maybe something like Router Security/Phishing Risk and then make it a closed sticky at the top of this and any other relevant PN forum. (ie the thread won't contain the chitchat as this one, just the relevant info.)
Regards.
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
I have changed my wording on the moderators note, it did come across a little harsh  Embarrassed when the OP was only responding to encouragement.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
greyposter
Grafter

I was ok about it to be honest. I moderate a site and know rules must be adhered to.