cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router connects, gets IP but allows no traffic other than ping!

mikefitz

Router connects, gets IP but allows no traffic other than ping!

Hi,
Wondered if anyone can help with this?  I am getting increasingly frustrated by Plusnet support going round in circles telling me that the resolution for this problem is to plug a network cable in, or use a different router.
I have a support question open (34659810 if anyone looks at this from Plusnet)
I have had BT out already, they were satisfied that my setup was ok as they didn't charge me, I have setup routers before, and I have tried 4 different ones on this line but have had no luck. 
The router gets a WAN IP, is in the test port and will let me DNS lookup and ping external sites.  I have tried a variety of MTU values and matching RWIN's but nothing will let me actually view internet pages.
I have set the router up with a dynamic dns record, which it normally manages to update every couple of days.  I can check this at work and once the IP that was registered with dyndns was recent (5 minutes) I could ping the address, but could not get to the log in page to remote manage the router (obviously I have both external ping, and remote manage from any IP enabled).  After about 3 minutes of me being able to ping the address, I could no longer ping it, but the dyndns record was not updated again until the next day.
This has been the case for 3 weeks now, there is no telephone plugged into the line, the BT engineer confirmed I am right next to the exchange and according to his box of tricks the line looked ok, although he said to me that the upload sync looked low compared to the down (15000 down 448 up) he said that to him, that would normally say there was a problem with my password registering on the network, however, he did not put this in his report to plusnet.
Any help from you guys, or if someone from Plusnet with some better advice than "your router is connected fine, you need to plug a network cable in and it will work" is reading this I would greatly appreciate some help.
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router connects, gets IP but allows no traffic other than ping!

Hi mikefitz,
I've just been up with the faults team and they've been looking into it more. They said that more work needs to be done and we need to get an engineer out to you. If you can let us know of when you could be available tomorrow or possibly saturday/monday 8-1pm(AM) or 1-6pm (PM) then we can get it arranged for you. Either reply to me or update your ticket.
Jojo Smiley
mikefitz

Thanks JoJo
When you say an engineer, are we talking another BT engineer to run the same tests or something different?
I can do tomorrow, Saturday or Monday, please advise....
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Try setting a manual DNS via properties of your internet connection in network connections.
I would google one for you but am behind a filtered gateway.
mikefitz

Thanks Lorenzo48 I have done this, but that is not the problem, I can perform DNS lookups just fine, it is actual browsing causing a problem.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

I'm reluctant to suggest anything else in case I inflame you  Wink - just been through similar myself and know what it's like.
Can you test the same PC or Router at another location?
If I had done that first I'd have identified it was faulty (brand new) router on day one.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI mikefitz,
we're just waiting for confirmation about the appointment but the faults guy says he will ring you with confirmation before 9pm.

The previous engineer done the normal checks but this time he will have detailed notes of all our findings, so he can go more indepth and hopefully get to the bottom of it for you.
Jojo Smiley
mikefitz

Thanks JoJo,

Lorenzo48 I've done that, but thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Good luck with it Mike - let us know.
Toolbox
Grafter

I see you found your way here OK Mike Smiley
Hope you get sorted soon.
I have had problems today and so far I have tested two routers about four filters new phone and network cable and switched network cards.
With all that done I am also pluged into the test socket and so far it looks better but not sure what was wrong, I may start putting some things back one by one.

BB
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

although he said to me that the upload sync looked low compared to the down (15000 down 448 up) he said that to him, that would normally say there was a problem with my password registering on the network,

I'm sorry but that's complete rubbish!. An upstream synch of 448 is normal ( the maximum ) unless your upstream has been uncapped, and that usually only happens if you request it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There are plenty of computer viruses around that will stop your browser from connecting.  One trick I have seen recently is to alter the connection settings to cause the browser to use a proxy server (see Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings).  I imagine when the virus is fully operational the address of the proxy server gets changed as necessary, but if the virus is removed by your security software then you get stuck with the last proxy server it was using.  Once the authorities catch up and take that server out of service then your computer is stuck trying to use a proxy server that no longer exists and you cannot load any web pages. 
mikefitz

Well here's an update, maybe JoJo, as the only person that seems to be able to get anything done will read this, this is what I have posted to my Plusnet Portal, not impressed.....
Having sat here all morning waiting for the BT engineer I've just been told by your "customer service" that he might have been, and done what he needed to from the exchange, but they don't know until his report comes in, or presumably doesn't come in if he just didn't turn up, which is what has happened from my point of view, being as nobody has called me, and I had to call you for the information above.
if the engineer has been out and done what he needed to do they why not call and say, i've finished, you don't need to wait around anymore.
PRETTY POOR SERVICE PLUSNET.
Needless to say, I still have no internet connection.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mikefitz,
Gosh. I'm gutted for you Sad I'll see if I can find out what's going on and get back to you as soon as I can.
Jojo
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody else is having similar problems here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88606.msg737137.html