Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router choice?

saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router choice?

I'm considering buying a new router/,modem, as my three-year-old Thomson TG585v8 seems to be becoming (more) unreliable on the wireless side, occasionally freezing solid when something disconnects. (I'm also having trouble with my line again, and I suppose it's possible the two issues are connected, but I think it's more likely to do with the pavement works all along the main road between here and the exchange. If it doesn't settle in another week I'll have to consider going through the fault process, and having an alternative router would help with that as well.)
Can anyone tell me whether the "Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem for ADSL (BT) connections" (DGN2200v3) will do the job? I don't have any very exotic requirements -- just a smallish flat with a handful of computers and Android devices and a layout that makes wired connections infeasible -- and the ability to use a shared USB drive would be a  nice bonus.
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router choice?

It could of course be wireless interference; a flat suggests there could be other networks in close proximity.
I've been using it's predecessor a DGN2000 until recently and that was fine for a house, but I don't have any other wireless networks very close.
saguaro
Rising Star

There are lots of other wireless networks in range, but I haven't had this trouble until recently. The wifi issue does seem to correlate with my own devices misbehaving -- a Linux netbook with a flaky wireless driver and a new phone that had a fit when I upgraded its Android version.
saguaro
Rising Star

On second thoughts, a little further internet research suggests that the DGN2200 is out of date and insecure. Sigh ... (I suspect it's not a good idea to spread links about how to hack routers in a forum like this, so I won't link.)
Does anyone know of a decent router *without* WPS?
LukeAger
Grafter

I flit between 2 lines in my house, one using a cisco wireless router which I cant recommend enough. And the other is the Plusnet Tg582n. Besides the WPS (non) issue I really dont have any bad thing to say about these routers as far as domestic routers go. It performs fine and is easy enough to configure if you need to make changes on the fly. If your looking to swap from your 585v8 I would suggest calling plusnet to talk about the 582. Of course if you can, you can't go wrong with something like a cisco 877w or something similar.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

It might be worth checking on which channels the other wifi networks are on - www.inSSIDer.com do a good bit of software I've used. Then you might find there is a channel free which doesn't overlap too much with the others and switch your router over to that one. I did that a few years ago when more of my neighbours started using wifi and have had no problems since.
saguaro
Rising Star

Quote from: ajbrown1965
It might be worth checking on which channels the other wifi networks are on - www.inSSIDer.com do a good bit of software I've used. .

Thanks. It might be worth a try.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

www.inSSIDer.com do a good bit of software I've used.

The above link takes you to "inSSIDer 4" which costs $19.95. I use the free version, "inSSIDer 3" which can be downloaded here: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
saguaro
Rising Star

Quote from: tijara33
I use the free version, "inSSIDer 3" which can be downloaded here: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Thanks, that's useful! I tried that, and WiFi Analyzer for Android for a portable 'probe.' It looks as though I'm best off where I am on Channel 1 -- with the possible exception of the corner under the desk where the desktop antenna lives, and it's not the desktop that's been fouling up the disconnects.