cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router blocking website access

seumas24

Router blocking website access

New customer to plusnet this week & having difficulty getting on a website I have used before when with Sky & Aol broadband the site is quadcrazy.com a forum for quad bike users in North America the message i am getting is

This site cant provide a secure connection

quadcrazy.com uses an unsupported protocol

I am using chrome on windows XP & used to upload items to the site previously I can also access it no problem from my mobile using 4G, any suggestions for router setting changes appreciated.

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Router blocking website access

Welcome to the forums @seumas24 .

I doubt it is your router causing the problem, more likely your OS. I can access the forum with no problem using W7 and a PN connection.

XP is an ancient, unsupported OS which may have problems reaching sites built on more modern technology.

I could be wrong, in which case one of the more experienced members will advise.

Which router are you using, and do you have another to test with? I doubt your Sky equipment can be used, as that is locked, but what did you use with AOL?Huh

John
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Works fine for me using chrome with windows 10 and Plusnet Hub 1.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@seumas24  Hi and welcome to the forums

This sounds like a website issue and possible an a XP issue. Chrome is checking the security of the site you are trying to visit and is finding an out of data security certificate and using an out of date security protocol, which might now be due to using Windows XP,

XP is an extremely risking OS to now use on the internet . Its had no security updates in years and is very, very at risk of attack, its security protocols with not be up to date or support the latest security that should be used on websites.

Ypur 4G mobile will have the latest security protocols available.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@seumas24 wrote:

New customer to plusnet this week & having difficulty getting on a website I have used before when with Sky & Aol broadband the site is quadcrazy.com a forum for quad bike users in North America the message i am getting is

This site cant provide a secure connection

quadcrazy.com uses an unsupported protocol

I am using chrome on windows XP & used to upload items to the site previously I can also access it no problem from my mobile using 4G, any suggestions for router setting changes appreciated.

My guess, it is a browser issue. Your current browser is not set to, or does not support, that site's security protocols. You say you are using "Chrome", but not the version. As it is running on an obsolete OS I doubt if your browser is up to date!

For a start I recommend you point your browser at How's My SSL?  and see what it says.

seumas24

LOL same message for howsmyssl unable to display it either, sounds like time to shop for an upgrade laptop or OS, thanks to all for suggestions & replies.

Cheers........... Seumas24

seumas24

Issue sorted just found out I can access the site with Firefox instead just Chrome & int Explorer that cant connect dont know why I never tried it before but heho.

Thanks

Seumas24

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@seumas24 I would seriously suggest getting a new computer - an XP machine is liable to be old and tired, and the version of Firefox you will have on there is way out of date.

I suspect it won't be that long before you hit even more problems.

John