cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router behaving oddly....help!

glosoldspot
Grafter

Router behaving oddly....help!

I've sent this query to the support team but I thought there's no harm asking for any opinions or advice here.
Our router has started behaving strangely today. This morning whilst online the connection speed (usually at 54 mbps) dropped down to 8mbps, then rose to 11 mbps, then gradually retained normal speed. Shortly afterwards I was cut off.
I re-booted the router and on trying to log back on it displayed my router connection as un-secured (normally it's a secured connection). I re-booted and the same again. On a third attempt it was worknig normally and as my usual Plusnet secured network.
Around mid-day I tried to log on again only to find I was unable to do so. The same un-secured network was shown for my router. I re-booted and it displayed my Plusnet network, saying I was connected.....only for me to not be able to connect to the internet on trying to do so.
This evening we logged on no problem.
Any ideas what is going on and why my router appears to be behaving a bit tempramentally? Why would it suddenly boot up as an unsecured network when it should always be secured? Why would it not let me connect to the internet?
I would be grateful for any assistence, especially regarding the security issue or otherwise for my router
6 REPLIES 6
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Router behaving oddly....help!

Which router are you using and which firmware version?
glosoldspot
Grafter

I have a Thomson Gateway TG585 v7......and I'm a tech numptie so I don't know which firmware version (or even what that is).....how do i find out?
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I presume from the use of 54, 8 & 11mbs, that we are talking about a wireless link between computer and router rather than the link from Router to Plusnet.
When things go wrong, are you sure you are connecting wirelessly to YOUR router.
These symptoms sound as if there is another (unsecured) wireless network in close proximity, and your computer is picking the wrong one.
What operating system do you have on the computer? Someone will then be able to tell you how to check for multiple wireless networks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@glosoldspot
The firmware is the software application that runs on your router that enables it to do its job.
You can find out which version this is by following the procedure described in the how to upgrade / downgrade the firmware on the Thomson 585v7 blog. The version is likely to be 7.4.4.7 if you've had the router for some time.
David
glosoldspot
Grafter

My firmware is 7.4.4.7
Is this my operating system?

I'm pretty sure I'm connected to my router (wirelessly) each time as I've been checking during these problems. There are other networks in the area but none that are Plusnet that i can see.
Bit scared of doing a firmware update after reading the link...is it advisable thing to do?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The operating system on the router is probably Linux, but the networking application is integrated with it. Both are replaced when the firmware is upgraded, but I don't think there is a need to do that at the moment.
I think the previous question concerning which operating system? was asking about the operating system (version of Windows) on your computer.
It's possible the wireless speed issues were caused by interference on the wireless channel. Changing that between 11, 6 and 1 might improve things (broadcasts spread across neighbouring channels, those three don't overlap each other unless someone is using an '802.11n' router). I suggest running inssider to have a look at frequencies and relative strengths of signals from neighbouring routers. Select the 2.4GHz tab and click the start button (top right) to start measurements.
David