cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router as WAP?

smhartley
Grafter

Router as WAP?

Can anyone answer my questions please? I have recently upgraded to fibre and am using the PN supplied Technicolour router. I was using an SMC Barricade wireless router when I was on ADSL. I am now finding that the wireless is not as good.
1) Is the Technicolour wireless n?
2) Can I use my old SMC Barricade instead of the PN?
3) Could I continue to use the Technicolour and use the SMC Barricade as a WAP to increase the signal/range? If so, how do I do that?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router as WAP?

1) Is the Technicolour wireless n?

Yes it is,
2) Can I use my old SMC Barricade instead of the PN?

Probably not as you'll need an FTTC compliant router.
3) Could I continue to use the Technicolour and use the SMC Barricade as a WAP to increase the signal/range? If so, how do I do that?

That may be possible, I'm not 100% sure on the ins and outs I'm afraid but there may be others on there that have had experience with doing that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
smhartley
Grafter

Thanks Adam.
Can anyone else help with using my old router as a WAP?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Could I continue to use the Technicolour and use the SMC Barricade as a WAP to increase the signal/range? If so, how do I do that?
Like Adam, I've no direct experience of the Barricade but in principle you need to Disable DHCP and then connect one of its LAN ports via an ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Technicolour.
Hope that helps 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smhartley
Grafter

Thanks MisterW, do I just log in to the router to disable DHCP?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

and.... change the barricade network address to avoid any clash with the rest of the network - just put it outside the Technicolour DHCP range so you can get at and change wireless parameters if needed.
Quote from: smhartley
do I just log in to the router to disable DHCP?

yes!
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
smhartley
Grafter

Thank you all  Smiley