cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router arrived today

Pyrii
Grafter

Router arrived today

A surprise package in the mail, and it unfortunately wasn't my copy of AC:NL.
But even more unfortunately, it looked like someone has kicked the shit out of the package which is meant to contain my Fibre router.
I'ma plug it in tonight and test it/set up for my network for install day. If it is broken or faulty, hopefully I won't have to pay more Ryanair-style fees to have it returned and replaced. I have a Billion 7800N that should work in it's place, but it has a few problems atm.
Also, with the engineer visit on friday, I'm worried I'll get an engineer that I hear about often that won't install the extension, even though I ordered it, or will try to charge me extra, is there any way to shoot him down if he tries? I suppose I could print out my order reciept and show him that, but is there any experience here with dealing with the dodgy engineers I keep hearing about?
5 REPLIES 5
Pyrii
Grafter

Re: Router arrived today

Guh, I plugged it in and it works, but it has the godawful thompson interface that I utterly LOATHE. I want to actually change settings for the device, and forgot that the wizard is basically a factory reset where you enter your username and password... sigh.
picbits
Rising Star

I plugged mine in, checked the Fibre worked then swapped it for my Netgear.
Netgear was slower than the Thompson so popped on a TP-Link which worked nicely and is still in use.
Pyrii
Grafter

My Billion 7800N seems to have a degeneration issue where after a certain amount of connections have been made, it starts dropping new connections. Web pages and images will half download and trillian starts getting annoying again till I reboot the router for the umpteenth time.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Which version of the firmware are you running on the 7800N? The latest is 1.06h, I would suggest updating if you have an earlier version. Updates are available here:http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/
Pyrii
Grafter

I just upgraded to the UK version of the 1.06h firmware and re-input all my settings, including url blocking (my form of ad-blocking :P)
I'll torrent all these subbed GameCenterCX episodes to put it through it's paces before tomorrow to see if the problem crops up again. Torrents tend to have large amounts of connections due to all the peers etc.
I've put my network settings into the technicolour anyway. Turned off the Upnp media server etc and set up the WiFi with the same settings I currently use. I still need to make up a small patch cable to go between the router and modem so I'll pull out my reel, crimper and plugs sometime today. The cables that came with the router are missing pins/wires. Plusnet doing the cheap thing instead of the RIGHT thing.