Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router and Profiles

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Router and Profiles

Hi, I haven't had cause to post on here recently so please bear with me, some weeks ago my Thompson router decided to spit the dummy and stop working, I received another from Plusnet but the new Verion 8 model.
My question is, do these figures look right? I was one for checking my router to make sure all the reedings were ok and I'm sure the s/n margin down was allways about 8, some times as low as 7 but when I checked today it was 10.5, i decided to do some speed tests and check settings against results.
I noticed on the plusnet account area that my current line speed is 6.5, I think it was higher than that before. On the BT site it said as below my dsl connection rate is 7616 kbps yet my IP profile is 6500 kbps.
I'm sure the speeds I'm getting now are lower than before, I rebooted my router to see if it made a difference but does not appear to have done so, I only live about 100 yards from the exchange so allways had decent readings when checking.
I've put the results below
Uptime: 0 days, 17:50:31
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,228 / 7,648
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 30.27
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 8.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 0.0 / 4.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 10.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,720
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5397 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5397 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
Regards
jono
24 REPLIES 24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Router and Profiles

You have interleaving on which shouldn't be needed when you are so close to the exchange, but...
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 5,720

that's far more errors corrected by interleaving than I would expect to see for your attenuation and noise margin.
What's your setup like, do you have extensions, where is the router and anything else plugged in to phone sockets?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I dont have extensions, the lead from BT socket goes directly to the router, I have the router connected to the computer via ehternet cable, a new one. The router is next to the computer.
I have the new BT socket in with built in filter , Only my phone and the Broadband cable connected, the socket was installed about 3 to 4 years ago, nothing changed but the new router.
the only thing that is different is the fact that i no longer switch the router off on a night, I used to with the old one but when fitting the new one it stated to leave the router on allways so I have been doing that.
regards
Jono
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

nothing changed but the new router.

Just to check more specifically did you swap the modem cable and the filters too? Also do let us know if you need interleaving removed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You setup sounds good. I'm further from the exchange than you but I've only logged under 400 error in 39 days!
Does the cable from the telephone socket to the router go near anything electrical. If you have a DECT phone is the base unit near the router? Something slightly odd is going on, with an attenuation of 4.5 you should have a stunningly good connection!
Edit: At some stage you'll want to have the interleaving turned off but I'd like to see if the error rate can be reduced first. Of course it could have been a burst of errors at one time. So check tomorrow around this time to see how many additional errors have been added. If that's low ask for interleaving to be turned off.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, I fitted the new cable with the new router, the filter is actually part of the BT socket, When I get time if the errors keep going up I will remove the BT Face plate , fit the old one and connect with ordinary filter and try at that just in case the filter is faulty. In answer to one of the other posts , I'm using the same cable i have been using for some time now, its not routed anywhere near any electricals.
regards
jono
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, I checked my readings this morning and the FEC errors had gone up to 9163 a rise of about 4000, so I removed the BT socket front, the ADSL filter actually was the soket front and fitted the original facia front, then fitted a new filter that came with the router. After about 6 hrs I have only 367 FEC errors which is a lot better.
I have posted below the reading which I got straight after, Line attenuation droped to 4, Bandwidth went from 7616 to 7840, SN margin went from 10.5 to 9.5 and maximum band width went form 7648 to 8000.
My ISP profile os still only 6500kbps, Could someone advise?
Will this automatically go up or will I have to raise a ticket?
If I have no problems over the next few days would it be possible to turn interleaving off ?
if I did get interleaving turned off is it possible to turn it back on if i have probelms?
Sunday, October 09, 2011
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:55
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,240 / 8,000
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,840
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 5.05
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:      11.5 / 8.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   0.0 / 4.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:         29.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):            0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):         0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):         0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):         0 / 0
FAQ

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5837 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5837 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7840 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
Regards
Jono
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Just to update, I now have 737 FEC faults, an improvement on over 3000 in same period, and this since changing filter and face plate.
regards
jono
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

My ISP profile is still only 6500kbps, Could someone advise?

That matches the IP profile of 6500 due to a sync speed of 7840.
With regards to interleaving this can be either added or removed within 24 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamt
Rising Star

Should jono still be on ADSL1 (G.992.1)? With an attenuation that low he should get a really good ADSL2+ speed. I don't know which product he's on or what sort of exchange & market type, but if it's possible to get ADSL2+ (G.992.5) it should be well worth it.
Graham
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Dont htink my exchange is enabled for ADSL2+, It says on samknows that the BT infinity FTTC I think is enabled but only certain areas.I'm on the lowest product and the exchange is market 3.
Do I have to raise a ticket to get it turned off ?
regards
jono
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just went to place this order for you but then noticed you'd requested it yourself via the members centre Smiley
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Just a question Adam, I went onto my account and turned interleaving off then noticed in the message above the off button that it states that once switched off interleaving cannot be switched back on. Is this correct or can I still have it switched back on if I encounter probs.?
regards
jono
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi crossed messages posted, yes i turned it off but have left message above for you
regards
jono
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can have it turned back on if you wish, though it'd mean asking for it to be done manually by our support team. Just raise a ticket with the request Smiley