cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router advice needed...

fefil
Dabbler

Router advice needed...

My iPad and iPhone are not connecting to Plusnet wifi. I've been thinking about getting a new router but, as I don't understand anything about routers, I don't know what to buy. Also not sure if I'll be able to set it up anyway, I hope to find something that works straight out of the box, but doesn't cost a fortune.
Can anyone be kind to advise please..
Thank you..
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Router advice needed...

Is it simply a setup issue why they aren't connecting? I'm sure someone familiar with iPads & iPhones will be able to help.
fefil
Dabbler

Hi!
i'm familiar with iThings but hot with routers, my iPhone and iPad connect on other peoples wifi, but not here  Undecided
Thanks, anyway..
shalom2010
Grafter

@fefil I have an ipod & Kindle & both connect easily. Make sure you type in the key exactly as on the card (the correct case is vital) - did you use the 'key' rather than the router password????
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Can you describe exactly what you are doing and how it fails to work?
Sometimes you go through the correct motions to make this work, you get a connected tick, but nothing works.  In my experience this is a problem with the router not for some reason allocating an IP address.
Some detail on how it is not working would help someone to better assist you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fefil
Dabbler

@shalom2010. I used to connect okay, but now they don't any more..Anyway, perhaps it's  a good idea to get a good router, as the one from Plusnet looks really cheap Embarrassed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
It might indeed look cheap, but accepting its limited WiFi range in some situations, it works fine.  I have 5 iDevices in the family connected, along side 4 laptops and no end of visitors with IPhones, iPads and other smart devices dropping in all of the time.  Not a blip of a problem.  As I noted above some clues will help in offering useful assistance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fefil
Dabbler

@townman. The iPhone and iPad show full wifi signal but nothing happens, I can't get anywhere, page  doesn't move,  so I I've been tethering iPad to iPhone on Three network.
I had no problems on macbook, only mobile devices, which usually are not as strong to pick up wifi signal, that's why I thought getting another router could help.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fefil,
Ah that helps a little... Sometimes I have seen the iProducts get their wifi network configuration somewhat twisted up.  You click on the found wifi ssid and get connected but nothing happens.
If you click the blue arrow next to the wifi name, what do you see?  Dhcp highlighted?  If you do, try to renew the lease.
If this does not work, click forget this network and try reconnecting, being careful to make sure that you use the correct case (upper / lower) for the WIFI pass code.
I have also noticed that the iProducts can loose and regain their wifi connections before your very nose!  Indeed I see this problem from time to time when tethered to the iPhones hotspot.  The hotspot has the be switched off and on to get the iPad to reconnect.
I do not think this is a problem which is going to be resolved by the investment in a new router.
Cheers,
Kevin

fefil
Dabbler

Thanks, Kevin, it would be a mistake getting a new router as it was my ignorance to blame not the router I had the hot spot on so it didn't connect to wifi!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fefil,
These things happen, worry not.  Glad you found a solution.
Kevin