cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Wireless Passwords / Keys

Graham21
Grafter

Router Wireless Passwords / Keys

I've been thinking about passwords lately and would be interested in knowing what you think about the wireless passwords used in the routers we supply.
I would be interested in knowing:
1) Do you keep the default password? (please don't tell us your password!)
2) If you change it, why?
3) If we were going to change the default password do you think it should be longer, easier to remember, more complex (symbols, mixed case etc.)
Thanks for any feedback!
Graham
24 REPLIES 24
gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: Router Wireless Passwords / Keys

I always change my router admin password to a more complex string and letters and numbers and change it every so often.
Why do this crazy thing,
Well I've had routers and AP's for years (back when it was the default passwords for the same devices and did the same, now routers come with a random one, I still change it, simply because I trust it more.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

1) The first thing I do with a new router is change the wireless SSID to something which identifies it as my router.
I also change the password to a longish phrase but one I can easily remember.
2)  As above -- secure and easy to remember.
3) I would say, leave it alone and let the users change things to suit them selves.
Graham21
Grafter

Thanks NPR but have you tried to change the Wi-Fi password on one of our routers? ; )
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I concur with NPR on all points - personalisation, and ease of recall.
I think NPR said he changed SSID and password.  Yes, I've done it on multiple PN supplied routers.
Why are you considering change?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Graham21
Grafter

I'm constantly changing my router (to test things) and I find it annoying that I can't just look at the Wi-Fi password and just remember it.
What do you think of word phrases like 'gone-with-the-wind' or 'deep-space-nine'? Easier to say to the wife (or a visitor) that your password is 'think-different' rather than 'DGF12323EF'
Graham

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Graham21
Thanks NPR but have you tried to change the Wi-Fi password on one of our routers? ; )

No, I've changed it on three of your routers Wink
gnicholson8
Grafter

Tbh I think your best of leaving the current passwords as they are, if anyone is concerned they will go ahead and change them themselves.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Graham,
I think gn8 has got it right.  As it is all routers have a unique ssid and a unique password, which is a good security model.  If people want something different, then they an alter the configuration ssid / password as they please.
Thinking about your problem testing different routers, you could set the ssid and pass phrase to a standard, then all existing associated devices would continue to function without change.  I do this all of the time, especially when switching routers to investigate line faults.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gnicholson8
Grafter

I think the biggest thing is to keep every router with a randomised SSID and Admin Password.
If you guys took a step back with that to a pre-defined phase those who don't understand the need to change them will then have a more vulnerable device.
In terms of changing them to a set phrase, again, a bad idea as it would be much easier to brute force it.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well I've kept it the same for the simple reason I don't know how to change it. Undecided
I'm sure there are many customers in the same situation. It would be good to have received something with the router like an instruction manual and how to change passwords etc..
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I always change the SSID and passwords. I use LastPass to generate and manage all my passwords, that way they can all be long and random since I only have to remember 1, my master password...
Graham21
Grafter

Thanks for all the great feedback. Just to be clear, if we did change any passwords they would still all be unique.
Graham
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I always change the ssid/pass phrase & router Admin password. First things I do with them after switching them on!  Wink
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

An interesting article on passwords which supports Graham21's line of thinking.......
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/292538-passwords-the-security-tool-that-loves-to-be-insecure?u...