cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router That Came With Value Broadband

danielprocter

Router That Came With Value Broadband

Hi there, the thomson router that came with my value broadband package went pop as soon as I plugged it in. I am guessing the plug circuit breaker flipped but I cannot determine if this is the case as the plug is like fort knox.
Is it possible for plus.net to send me out another router?
14 REPLIES 14
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Router That Came With Value Broadband

Quote from: danielprocter
... I am guessing the plug circuit breaker flipped but I cannot determine if this is the case as the plug is like fort knox.

If the circuit breaker flipped then nothing you plug into that socket will work until you reset the circuit breaker.
If you are talking about the plug on the router, it doesn't have a circuit breaker or (as I recall) a fuse you can get at. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assumed he meant the plug/power supply breaker or fuse - of course I could be wrong  Undecided
danielprocter

Yep i meant the plug on the router went pop. As I cannot get into it, I cannt determine if it is a fuse or circuit breaker equivalent. TO be honest it looks a bit cheap and nasty and I took it to Maplin and the bloke there said it looked like a foreign device with just a simple UK adaptor on so he wasnt surprised it went pop.
Any official word on whether I can get a replacement (or ideally a refund of the postage as I have gone out and bought another router now which works fine)
Cheers,
Dan
mal0z
Grafter

Suggest you raise a ticket and report it formally to PN
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?help_action=tdl01
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll pop a ticket on your account and RMA the router to you, it should arrive in a few days.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danielprocter

Thanks Chris Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: danielprocter
TO be honest it looks a bit cheap and nasty and I took it to Maplin and the bloke there said it looked like a foreign device with just a simple UK adaptor on so he wasnt surprised it went pop

A lot of manufacturers use these type of adapters now so they only need stock 1 power supply for the world 120v-220v and just pop a 2pin or 3pin uk adapter saves on cost.
You can have got a speedtouch router for 99p from digidave on ebay 716wl 4 port wireless adsl2 and 2 voip ports plus 3 months warranty digidave is a UK supplier
Puddy
itsme
Grafter

Digidave is in Jersey and therefore is not an UK or EU company but I would recommend them.
mal0z
Grafter

Most of these devises are foreign, usually from China !.  I suspect most of those sold in Maplin too.
Another reason Thomson have selected that type of PSU with removable pins etc, is that allows it to be packed in a slimmer box which should in theory go through letter boxes, except it doesn go through mine - it's about 3mm to thick.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'm not using PlusNet at my flat, but I had the wired Ethernet adaptor go in my previous Speedtouch (565 v6 I think) router.
I ordered the same router they supply (v7) off Dslsource, and while looking at this thread I probably paid too much, it is worth it Smiley
Only router I've had which hasn't needed a single reboot in over a month.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Another reason Thomson have selected that type of PSU with removable pins etc, is that allows it to be packed in a slimmer box which should in theory go through letter boxes, except it doesn go through mine - it's about 3mm to thick.

I have never seen a Thomson broadband router packaged so it can go through a letter box
puddy
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote tags fixed ]
mal0z
Grafter

Fine - but I can assure you that the current packaging for TG585v7 will go through quite a few post boxes - just not mine I'm afraid.
If people are really interested I could measure the box but it approximately 30x15x5cm

[Edit:    that reminded me - actually it's  335x165x40mm
puddy
Grafter

I sorry if I offened you i was not being serious
puddy
Dick:Quote
mal0z
Grafter

In moderating - the meaning has been lost - who was Puddy referring to ?  Wink
If it was me - I certainly wasn't  offended - but it gave me a chance to modify my post.