Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Stats ?Issue...

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Router Stats ?Issue...

Would anybody be so kind as to comment on these router stats. The line has now been active for a few weeks, I initially put it down to the 10day settling in period. Line is stable, with no hissing or cracking etc.
I was expecting nearer 3Mb with an Attn of 50dB, not just under 2Mb.  The line was migrated from BT, where the last sync I recorded was under 500kbps.  I wonder if there is an issue, or could the line be banded?
Would appreciate advice, before I raise a ticket.
BTW the line is not at my house, so I have limited time for testing.  Its the same in the master socket test socket as well.
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router Stats ?Issue...

Is that from the test socket as it is very low as you say
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately not jim. Wont be able to get more info till the weekend.  Its the community centre account that I look after. When it was with bt however test socket stats were as bad as normal ones if that helps.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The error count (especially as nothing is happening on the line - I assume if you can't get into the CC it s not open / being used) is quite high.  The HEC rate is around 3 every 2 seconds.
Suggest you run the fault.plus.com tester - you do not need to be there to do that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Is that just the standard faults tester townman?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

http://faults.plus.net is which I think Townman is referring to.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Pish! Yes, sorry!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok. Line has been tested by pn faults team. Radius shows a very stable line, with a default snr of 3db. During testing line was syncing at 2215 with a 3db margin, at a reported attenuation of 51db. The faults team have performed an snr reset and fixed at 6db, but this wasn't really the issue I was concerned about. Doesn't the sync seem low for that attn, particularly on a very stable line. I am wondering if there is still an issue here, as a holdover from when the line was with bt, as sync then was under 400kbps. Can anyone from dct see if there is any banding there, or excessive interleaving applied?
Would a formal snr reset like this sort out any niggling issues that may be limiting sync.
As an example my parents live very close to the community centre and they sync in the high 3000s with a slightly higher attn.
for reference ticket id is 84435471
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Penfold,
Your analysis is sound.  I'm on a 50dB line and am presently synch'd at 53xxkbps @3dB which is slightly better than the Kitz expectation of 5152kbps @6dB.
Has a noisy line test - 17070 option 2 - been tried on the line?  Is the router in the master socket... Etc.?
Cheers,
Kevin

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The fact that your line will hold sync with a 3dB noise margin but with a very low speed indicates a quiet/low noise line but with a very odd attenuation
Can you run Routerstats on your router
If you can a picture of the bit loading graph could be extremely helpful
This is what mine looks like on a 49.5dB attenuation and 6dB default noise margin
Note that this post took 5 minutes to post and according to the original window is shown as Waiting for Community etc.  Crazy Crazy
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I will see what I can do with regards to routerstats.
Line is quiet. Will get some up to date data from test socket when I am next there, prob today or tomorrow.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Would anyone from dct care to comment on my query regards banding and interleaving, to see if this is indeed an issue?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

My line is interleaved and the banded profile for you would be 1152kb/s - 2272kb/s so I would doubt that is the problem - of course I could be wrong http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Been back to community centre yesterday to run some tests.  Had no internet access when I got there even though circuit in sync. Reboot of router cured this!!. Anyhow stats in test socket, direct from filtered faceplate and from socket in pc suite near enough the same. Vary around 1300 to 1500 at a 6db margin on a 51db attn line. Setup is BT nte master fitted with filtered faceplate. 10m of hardwired cw1308 cable to dedicated socket in pc room. I have updated tge ticket As a comparison, I took note of my parents stats who live around the corner, on the same cab I think.
Adsl2
up/down    347 4007
attn              33.2  57.0
margin        8.7    4.6
crc errors are just over 20000, but at over 20hrs uptime.(sorry stats photod on mobile)
Will post community stats in a bit as they are on laptop. I also used my own laptop in testing, as their pcs are in trouble at the min and i am undergoing reformatting and rebuilding them with much stronger group policies etc.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Here are the stats.
Could DCT comment, or do they not care??  i was assured that when I migrated this line, any outstanding issues would be resolved. This does not appear to be happening with any haste. i was also assured a business package was not needed.