cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Problems? or Plusnet

finnmcfinn

Router Problems? or Plusnet

PROBLEM FIXED ... was my own fault due to stupid oversight. 

I had a problem on my BT line back in October,  which meant I lost my broadband from Plusnet.  Now that has finally been fixed I find that I cannot access my internet service.  I have tried two routers, one of them straight out of the box.  
The Open Network and Sharing Centre says that the internet connection is up,  and Plusnet say that the line is clear.  However,  the only page I can access is the BT Service Information page
http://192.168.0.1
I have tried talking to Plusnet advisors and they say that it is a problem with the router,  that I should get another one and try re-booting it. I have tried these actions and have got the same result. I suppose it is possible that both routers are faulty but I'd rather not buy yet another one.
Can anyone advise me?  This is very frustrating. I have not been able to use Plusnet since October,  I need to file my tax returns soon and am considering switching to another ISP.
9 REPLIES 9
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Router Problems? or Plusnet

192.168.0.1 is the address of your router.
You probably need to log onto it (via the web interface), and reset your DSL user name and password. These pusnet should have sent you.
Don't know what router you have, but its usually faily simple to find the right thing to change...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Finnmcfinn,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Which router are you using?  Routers previously supplied by PlusNet have all had the address 192.168.1.254
Different routers use different subnet ranges and addresses as their defaults.
The two most common subnets are 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
The usual address (X) for the router is 1 or 254.
Together they give 4 potential addresses for your router.
To save the guess work, if you know how to launch a command prompt the command - ipconfig - will display the gateway address for you. That is the address of your router.  If you need more guidance on this, please ask.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

finnmcfinn

Thanks,  I am using Netgear routers.  The older one is not accepting my ISP user name and password,  which I don't understand as these are the same as I use to access the Plusnet site.  I have little understanding of this process,  usually the wizard just takes care of setting things up.  
I can get into the routers using the routerlogin.net on google chrome.  The router shows connection with the internet but I can't seem to access it when I open a page.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you log into the router using the router access password and user - these are admin and password unless you changed them
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDUyODU3NDA2L3NpZC9RZkNncE...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It is worth checking the other settings too. Conveniently someone else having a similar issue has copied the general ppp configuration details here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,147755.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

finnmcfinn

Quote from: Oldjim
Can you log into the router using the router access password and user - these are admin and password unless you changed them
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDUyODU3NDA2L3NpZC9RZkNncE...

Yes I can get into the router pages.  One of the routers won't accept my ISP username and password. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you entered the username in the format username@plusdsl.net
finnmcfinn

Quote from: Townman
It is worth checking the other settings too. Conveniently someone else having a similar issue has copied the general ppp configuration details here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,147755.0.html

ok I can have a go at that ...
finnmcfinn

Quote from: Oldjim
have you entered the username in the format username@plusdsl.net

BULLSEYE!    Problem fixed.  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Thank you Jim for spotting the obvious mistake.  I am very grateful.
Thank you everyone else as well for your time, its very kind.
All the best.