Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Problems / SNR reset

mike0381
Grafter

Router Problems / SNR reset

Hi everyone,
I've had a more stable line recently with my new Billion 7800N router.  However, it went wrong today for no reason and the DSL would not sync for hours.  I tried a different router and that worked fine.
Anyway, after reflashing the firmware, restoring to default config settings and lots of resets I've got it working again.

Problem is, my SNR margin has gone from the standard 6db to 9 or 12 now I think, because BT obviously think I have an unstable line.  My connection speed is very slow.

So could you reset my margin back to the default 6db please?Huh
Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: Router Problems / SNR reset

Hi mike0381,
Youyr target SNR margin has indeed increased to 12dB due to those disconnections.  As your line is now stable I have submitted an SNR reset.  This should take effect within the next 24 hours.  Keep an eye on those disconnections.  Wink
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My line was incredibly unstable a couple of days ago. It's now much better but I'm still only getting 2.3 megs instead of the 3 megs which BT assure me I should be getting. Maybe my SNR needs resetting?Huh
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi tijara33,
Your current sync rate is just short of 3Mbps and configured to 12dB target SNR.  Your line is very stable but your loop loss is nearly 60dB.  I'd say if we reset your line the boost in speed would be temporary.  If your line remains stable the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system will lower your target SNR margin automatically causing a boost in speed.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
If your line remains stable the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system will lower your target SNR margin automatically causing a boost in speed.

But that will take at least two weeks of completely solid connection with low errors.
lexusuk
Grafter

@Gigabit,
The DLM should make changes following a maximum of 120 hours stable.  It does however depend on the error and retrain rates.  All lines are constantly monitored for drop outs and errors.  Depending on the levels of both an Indicated Line Quality (ILQ) is calculated.  ILQ is split in to three main categories Red, Amber or Green.  DLM makes improvements with an ILQ of Green which requires your line to error less than every 7 minutes and drop sync less than every 4.6 hours.  A stable line that is error free should be ILQ Green the majority of the time.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Alex, Thanks for your feedback, I'm learning all pf the time. I'll leave everything alone & see what happens. I'm hoping to change to fibre at the end of September when my exchange becomes fully available. Presumably this will make a huge difference????
lexusuk
Grafter

Unfortunately we don't have any estimated Fibre speeds for your line as yet as the exchange is not enabled so I can't give you any predictions at this stage.  That being said, the majority of customers see a significant improvement in speeds when switching from ADSL to Fibre.