cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Priority For Youview Box

EastSaxon

Router Priority For Youview Box

I'm in a rural area and only have a download of about 4.5meg. I want to give priority to my Youview box so that it stops buffering when the kids start using the wi-fi. Any usage when the box is working causes it to stutter. Anybody got any ideas how I do this?
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Router Priority For Youview Box

Which router do you have?
Edit: Also, do you know if there any fibre plans for your area?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The MAJOR advantage of having a Plusnet connection, is that DOWNLOAD traffic prioritization has already been done for you.
However in order for this to work properly, your Plusnet Current line speed needs to be equal or lower than then BT line profile shown at the end of the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Other than that -
1)  You need to ensure BOTH your download and upload modem sync speeds are as high as it is possible to achieve,
      preferably by plugging your modem into the TEST socket behind the faceplate of the MASTER phone socket.
2)  If possible, set your YouView box to stream in SD, as HD is probably pushing the limits of a 4.5Mbps connection.
3)  See if you can get a faster upstream rate, because using the upstream on a slow connection can have a big impact on download speeds.
        If you are on "ADSL2", then you could ask Plusnet to have your upstream rate uncapped - for free.
        If you are on "ADSL max" (8Mbps), you could try upgrading to "Max Premium" - for an extra £7.83/month.
4)  I have a similar problem and have been told that my rural exchange will NOT be upgraded to Superfast broadband or even to 21CN.
    What I did this week, was build a web caching proxy server for my network, which effectively speeds up the broadband connection
    by only fetching data that has changed, thereby reducing broadband bandwidth demands and freeing it up for your video streaming.
5)  If your YouView box is connected wirelessly, you might want to consider connecting it by ethernet cable or powerline adaptors
      so that you are not sharing WiFi bandwidth with the children.
6)  You could impose a traffic rate limiter on the children's connection,
      but starting with only 4.5Mbps I doubt if you could limit their usage enough without their usage becoming unusable.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plusnet's traffic prioritisation won't help you if everyone is doing things with equal priority at the same time, e.g. if everyone is streaming videos.
There is this page for Technicolor routers: http://npr.me.uk/ipqos.html