cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Logs always showing Denial-of-service attack

BenG
Grafter

Router Logs always showing Denial-of-service attack

hi, wonder can anyone suguest anything I can do about "Denial-of-service attacks" for the last few weeks I been noticeing in my router logs have been filling up and after looking at them they all seem to say [DOS] in the logs
I have both a Firewall on my router and also one installed on my PC and, I also have the windows one turned on. but I am just wondering should I be worried tho nothing has happned to my computer yet, but my dad also uses the internet, and he had prpblums with his system but i duno if that due to how he got it setup,
I looked at the logs and it seems it comming from the same IP or from an IP that starts with 84
anyway if anyone can sugest anything that will be very helpfull.
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: Router Logs always showing Denial-of-service attack

I wouldn't worry about the DOS logs in your router - it's fairly normal to see these (I get them all the time as well). It's just a result of general internet "noise" and not a real DOS attack.  You could try turning the PN firewall to "High" here (login required) to see if that makes things a bit quieter (if you use a VPN however, set the firewall to Low)
However, you say that you've got two firewalls on your PC:
I have both a Firewall on my router and also one installed on my PC and, I also have the windows one turned on.

If you've got a software firewall installed you should turn off the Windows firewall.  Having two firewalls running on a PC can cause more problems than it solves!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I'm guessing you have a netgear router. You can safely ignore these and in fact turn off the DoS checking as it is seriously flawed on that router as it reports single packets as being a DoS attack, which it clearly is not.
paulby
Grafter

@Peter Vaughan
You're right - if the OP has a Netgear then this could be the problem - I've seen it before too with some Netgears.
In my case I have a Draytek Vigor 2800, which, about once a month-ish, reports a "Firewall DoS tracert block" which can just be put down to "noise".
BenG
Grafter

hi, thanks for all the replays, the router i am using is also a netgrear one, DG384
I disabled the windows firewall, and some of the logs have seemed to have stopped. maybay as someone said it the router, I had a few props before, with it disconnecting and not reconnecting untill it has been powered down.
maybe time to invest in a new one. anyway thanks for the help. Smiley