cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Firmware upgrade.

Alastair

Router Firmware upgrade.

I've been a Plusnet customer for years but new to these forums. I would have tagged on to an existing thread but it's not at all apparent how to do this 😞 

Anyway, I have a Technicolor TG582n FTTC Router which keeps losing its WiFi memory from time to time, by which I mean that there is a big signal on the correct channel, but you can't connect to it. If I force a restart via Ethernet it will come back up again. I connect this PC to it via Ethernet and have been suffering from slow connections of late, so there may be more than one problem

I wonder if there is a problem with the firmware - it's currently 10.2.5.2.FO. I understand that this can be done remotely, although I've done this myself with other routers in the past. However, it's not at all clear how to do it with the this particular type.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Alastair

4 REPLIES 4
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Router Firmware upgrade.

Have you tried changing the routers WiFi channel? You may have neighbours using the same channel or you may have interference on your channel or adjacent channels.

Test channels 1, 6 and 11  -- use the one which gives the best result.

Find help on how to do that here:

http://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

If it's more than a wifi issue and the router has a uptime of many weeks, it may benefit from a power off reboot. IMO the GUI reboot doesn't all way do the job.

Alastair

Hi, thanks for the response. I have a scanner function on my phone and the channel that I'm using (12) is clear. I used to use 13, which is equally clear but Plus Net Chat suggested that I changed it although I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind this. The Router is on all the time, 24/7, I can certainly try switching it off overnight. I did actually power it down the other day, will see how long it runs before giving problems.

Can you advise if my Firmware is up to date? There seems to be no way of finding out (not that I've seen, anyway). From what I've seen the Firmware is a custom job for Plus Net - is that correct?

Alastair

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I'm not suggesting you turn it off over night, just turn it off for 30 seconds or so every couple of months - IMO the reboot button in the routers GUI doesn't completely reset things.

The channel scanner only shows other wifi station, it does not show any interference from other sources. IMO it's always worth testing the router on other channel (only need to use channels 1, 6 or 11). Note: not all devices can use 12 and 13!

You can find the available firmware here:

http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

My preference was the older 8.C.M.0 mainly because the GUI was slightly faster, never found any benefit from the newer versions.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Alastair wrote:

I have a scanner function on my phone and the channel that I'm using (12) is clear. I used to use 13, which is equally clear but Plus Net Chat suggested that I changed it although I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind this.

Hi Alastair,

Yes it does seem illogical at times.  As npr has hinted, some devices do not work well (or indeed at all) with channels 12 & 13 which are only allowed in the EU.

The other bit that seems quite illogical is that sharing on a channel is (apparently) better than being the only station on a channel but having overlapping stations on adjacent channels.

A wifi AP signal spans 5 channels: the 'specified change and two either side, Your scanning program should show this.  So channel 1 'bleeds' into channels 2 & 3; channel 6 into channels 4,5 and 7,8; channel 11 into channels 9, 10 and 12, 13.  Therefore if everyone sticks to 1, 6 or 11 everyone gets a better wifi experience.

HTH, Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.