Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Ethernet SetUp

Velocity
Grafter

Router Ethernet SetUp

Hi,
When my original Router didn't work, I swiftly bought a router from PC World - Belkin N150 Surf, while setting this up for wireless was easy
I just don't know how to connect it for ethernet use to fully try my Fibre limits, can anybody either guide me or point me to a tutorial (abc as I have no real prior knowledge for these items)
Just plugging the ethernet cable into the appropriate sockets has no noticeable effect and it's still coupled via wifi  Cry Undecided Shocked

Ethernet Belkin N150 Surf Setup
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/1283788/belkin-surf-n150
5 REPLIES 5
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Router Ethernet SetUp

Turn the WIFI off on your computer/laptop.  Windows usually prefers wifi over ethernet for some strange reason Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Velocity
Grafter

tried that but just disconnected and the Plusnet Assist popped up and whirred away for a few minutes,
reconnected wireless, will retry the 2nd supplied router and see if I can coax it back to life
Disconnected a few times tonight maybe the router ??  Undecided
thanks for your reply
petejackson
Grafter

Hi.
Plusnet Assist is very good at reconnecting a Wireless connection once it's been set up.  In your case, perhaps too good Wink  If you temporarily want to stop it reconnecting you (which it sounds like you do want to to test out Ethernet), then you can turn off Plusnet Assist by right-clicking on the sys-tray icon (bottom-right of your screen) and selecting 'Exit'.  Turn off your wireless (either at the switch or via Windows) and Plusnet Assist won't trouble you. Connect to Ethernet and away you go.
When you want to get Plusnet Assist going again, simply double-click the icon on your desktop or restart your computer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's a lot of us who would recommend uninstalling Plusnet assist. There's nothing that it does that you can't do yourself if you are reasonably competent.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Velocity
Grafter

Problem solved - discovered the LAN Gigabit driver wasn't installed d/l same and PC immediately saw the LAN connection  Cheesy Smiley Grin

Looks Good
Good D/L speed av transfer speed 9.05MB/sec  4min 17secs to D/L 2.3GB

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Broadband Speed Test Results
Download Speed (MBps): 69.71
Upload Speed (MBps): 14.71
Ping Latencey (ms): 41.63

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Cool Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin