Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Down Time

murphtang1988
Dabbler

Router Down Time

Hey Guys
Wounder if you can help me here;
my router is not stable at all,  it crashes and reboots 3-4 times a day depending on network traffics (internal and external) the router is supplied by plus net (Technicolor TG582n) when we took out the broadband 2 years ago.  being in a waiting for fiber grey area i don't want to spend money on the router to replace it.
the network is kind of complicated here as we have a few devices around the house etc.  My partner has set up 2 extra routers as switches these are very old routers and are only there to increase wifi range (g spec) and give him an ethernet port at his computer, the DHCP is done on the plusnet router and as is the main wireless traffic.
crashes happen during skype calls, VPN usage, online gaming and even streaming netflix in HD res so higher bandwidth situations.
the event log on the router is less than useful.
With these constant crashes I am unable to carry out my job as im home office based which as you can understand is unacceptable as i risk loosing my job, outages can last between 3-15 mins per crash.
any help would be great and i will answer as best i can.
Hannah

4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Router Down Time

Try inserting a switch (not a router in bridge mode) just before the router.
This should carry all your current wired internal connections that currently plug into the router.
The switch should also have one ethernet cable connecting it to the router.
This allows the switch to deal with purely internal traffic, whilst the router supplies DHCP & internet traffic over the single ethernet cable.
This will only help if your internal network is upsetting your router.
External causes should not upset your router... Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

murphtang1988
Dabbler

Ok so I found an unmanaged switch laying around to give me the extra Ethernet i require but as the router is in-fact a potato running basic the wifi signal about my house is well... useless so i have had to add a second router anyway so i can get wifi upstairs this router is just an access port it has no DHCP enabled or IP addressing its basicly a wireless switch giving me wifi for the phones and laptops around the upstairs still constant crashes today.
again the potato gives no errors just a "kernal warm reboot" message we have been away for 2 weeks so this thing has had a long time to be turned off to "recover" from a busy network based life style we have in our home.
Suffered 3 crashes again today.
Our home network consists of 2 tablets, 2 mobiles, 2 printers, 3 laptops (1 of which is a VPN based enterprise laptop), 2 desktop PC's, 1 FreeNAS server, xbox 360, apple TV, 1 wireless switch and a switch.
the NAS box takes a lot of traffic as you can imagine with myself (Partner) running a youtube channel so my desktop is also using a dedicated 10Gb line to record 1080p/1440p video and it also stores our own HD films etc for streaming, and Murphtang working on VPN's so the internal and external traffic is high we can touch sometimes 500GB per month on a single ADSL line (6Mb up 0.4Mb down which is also appalling)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If the potato is the thing supplied by Plusnet, then it may be past its use-by date.
However, check your ADSL stats - those speeds sound a bit limited...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi murphtang1988,
It sounds like the router you have could be suffering from a considerable amount of wear and tear. We could look to work out an option for you to take out a new router with us if you needed it, your best bet would be to speak with our Customer Options team direct on 0800 013 2632.