cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Connection Question

puddy
Grafter

Router Connection Question

Is it possble to have more than 1 router connected at the same time?
Puddy
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable

Re: Router Connection Question

You can only have one ADSL modem connected to one line - do you mind me asking why you'd want more than one?
puddy
Grafter

My friend next door who I recommended to plusnet wanted to know for cabling reason.
I had guessed it was not possible so thank you for confirming that for me

puddy
paulby
Grafter

@puddy
What are they trying to do?  If they just need more ethrnet sockets then they need to add a switch and not another router!
If they are trying to put a computer in another room they'd need to extend the wiring or use wireless as, has been said, you can't connect two *modems* into the phone line. 
(Technically there's nothing stopping you using two routers as a router is not the same as a modem - the modem part of an ADSL router is separate from the router part - it's possible to buy routers that only have an ethernet port for the input and can't be connected directly to the phone line e.g. for use on cable internet or with a separate ADSL modem with an ethernet output.)
itsme
Grafter

My setup consist of 3 routers but only one adsl modem.  Cheesy
puddy
Grafter

He wanted to connect a adsl (Netgear) router and a speedtouch 716wl adsl router to the same telephone line and use 1 wireless and one hard wired to his computer
puddy
paulh
Rising Star

but whatever the netgear has , the 716wl has ethernet ports as well so he only needs that one to do both tasks...  Or is he under the misapprehension that he can only use wireless OR wired but not both at the same time ?
puddy
Grafter

spot on paulh 
That's how he wanted to use it
Puddy
paulh
Rising Star

people do make i larf sometimes .... . but then i guess if you don't know, well, you don't know ... hope you've been able to deconfuse the situation for them
MickKi
Grafter

If he wants to use up to 3 wired ports (on the netgear) and wireless at the same time on the 716wl, he'll have to set up the 716wl as a wireless access point (disable the DHCP server of the wireless router and set it with a static IP address outside the range that the Netgear is serving to dhcp clients, but in the same subnet e.g. 192.168.0.254).
If he wants to use more than 3 wired ports across both routers then I think he will need to use RIP2 and set the 716wl  on a different subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.0, and also set the 716wl  as a dhcp server.  I believe he will be able to set static routes for machines connecting to the Negear to be able to access machines connecting on the subnet of the 716wl and vice versa.  I haven't got two routers to hand to try all this, so I am running all this in my head at the moment . . .  Crazy