Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Change And Going Static

CL01
Grafter

Router Change And Going Static

Hello People Of The Plusnet Forums,
I am thinking of getting a new router. I currently have a Thompson TG585V7 that was supplied by Plusnet and I was thinking of replacing it in a month or two. I was thinking of getting an "Asus DSL N55U" (Link) or a "TP Link TD W8980 N600" (Link) to replace the TG585V7. To acompany the new router, I was thinking of buying a "Static IP Upgrade" for performance reasons. I want to know weather the two routers are compatible (I am using a phone line adapter, not fiber-optic) and which router would be the best. BTW: This is my first post even though we've been with Plusnet for well over a year so... Hi Everyone!!  Smiley
16 REPLIES 16
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router Change And Going Static

Welcome to the Forums!
(I understand it is compulsory to reply in such fashion to first posts...)  Cool
I have the TP-LINK router mentioned, and am very happy with the performance. Before getting it I was using a BT Home Hub 5 (and a Hub 4 and Hub 3 before that) and my connection was getting slower and slower and constantly dropping out. Since getting the TP-LINK it has "System Up Time:24 day(s) 06:02:47" and there has only been one disconnection in that time, when I switched to a static IP address a couple of days later, so my connection has been up for about 3 weeks without a break. I bought it for £69.99 in Argos, and of course saw it cheaper in another shop a few days later - everyone should wait for me to buy something and they'll get the same thing cheaper in just a few days...
I have no experience of the Asus router, but there are several on here who swear by them.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was thinking of buying a "Static IP Upgrade" for performance reasons
I'm not sure what performance change you're expecting. A static IP doesn't change anything in terms of performance, it's only useful if you need access to your system from the internet e.g for remote control or to run a mail/web server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CL01
Grafter

HI MisterW,
Sorry I've probably not written this in the best way, I have recently having many drop-outs on the two phone sockets in my house (one in the living room and one in my bedroom) so when replacing my router, I was thinking of getting the static ip to help stop that (But it might not do anything) and host a very small private Minecraft Server. It would probably only have 5-10 spaces but I am also limited to an old Athlon 2 8GB PC. Thanks for your reply! Smiley
Thanks Jaggies, Your reply is very helpful. I've made my mind up now. The Asus is £10 more expensive but from what it sounds, the TP-LINK is just as good if not better. Thanks for your reply. Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was thinking of getting the static ip to help stop that (But it might not do anything) and host a very small private Minecraft Server.
Ok, well the static IP won't help stop the dropouts but it will mean that you will always get the same IP when you reconnect. Although I'm not familiar with it, I guess it will make hosting the Minecraft server easier.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CL01
Grafter

I have done a little bit more resaerch and yes, a static IP will help with server hosting but the dropouts it will not effect. It seems that the TG585V7 isn't a very reliable router from what ive seen on the web. Its getting even more annoying, i have had to abandon trying to use my PC and switch to my phone so that my 3G will help when it drops out. Its not like its one a day, its more like 5 a day. I know it is not the phone socket because it has worked pefectly before. I have also been seeing really slow proformance when using ping tests.I would love to be able to play Minecraft or DayZ with my friends but at this rate, I cant even chat with them on skype. Sad
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you reported a fault to PN?
http://faults.plus.net
If you run through the checks on there PN will be able to escalate the problem for you.
CL01
Grafter

Hi pwatson,
No I haven't reported it yet as I was going to give it time to see if the speeds improve and the drop-outs become less frequent but they haven't so I will be doing soon. Thanks for the link. Smiley
CL01
Grafter

Ok... I have to wait for my new router to be delivered. Part of the troubleshooting is using another router. Thats kinda hard seen as most house holds (probably) only have one router. But on the bright side, I only have another week to wait  :-\.
CL01
Grafter

If it helps anyone, when I drop-out, my internet and broadband go out. The internet light is flashing when I have connection. The ethernet and wireless lights go out and come back on every 3-5 seconds but not in any sort of pattern. When I try to connect to a page with no internet, I am told that I am not connected to the DSL. Changing filters does not help. It works best if I have a random 'ADSL filter' and the 'Speedtouch' ADSL filter on at the same time, though I think that this is normal. Changing the filters makes matters worse. If anyone has had an experience like this before and it has been resolved (especially if you have a TG585V7) please give me any tips on what to do.
CL01
Grafter

Hey guys,
Just a quick update, I managed to cancel my order as I found the same router for the same price at a shop near my house (Again thanks Jaggies). Set it all up and everything is ok but the connection is still abit iffy. My connection has dropped once in the last hour, an improvement but I would rather be getting none and my speeds are poor. I was getting 0.5mbps download speed and 0.3 upload. I am also struggling to connect to some Minecraft servers getting over 200ms on some. Again if anyone has any tips please post them and thanks in advance. Cheesy
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Well, now that you've changed routers and you are still getting disconnections, you need to raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net/. When you get to the question about alternative router/filter etc, you can honestly answer "yes" to having tried alternative hardware.
Just one thing, though - did you also swap the DSL cable? The one supplied with the TP-LINK router I have is a lot shorter than the ones I have from previous routers, so I've had to re-organise my desk to fit everything in - no biggie, but cables can go faulty as well, so it's important to change everything, not just router and filter.
CL01
Grafter

Thanks Jaggies,
I have changed my wire and my filters to the ones supplied in the TP-LINK router box. I did have a couple of dropouts at the start but that's expected. I have not had any for a good couple of hours but I will wait for abit before answering the troubleshooting question. My speeds have not improved but I might have to raise a ticket or something. Whilst i'm here, does anyone know how to portforward the port 25565 on the TP-LINK. I cannot figure it out, nothing seems to work. It's kinda essential for Minecraft server hosting. Grin Thanks in advance.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I haven't got any ports forwarded on mine, but looking at it, it would appear to be under the IPv4 Firewall settings, in "LAN Host".
Not sure why there are 2 IP Address fields. Do you have a static IP address?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I've found: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/TP-Link/TL-WR340G/Minecraft_Server.htm - I appreciate it's probably not for your router model but it should be pretty similar.
I can see all the disconnections you're having and they look to have been forced by the router so you'd taken the right steps in getting a new one. If the problem is ongoing after getting the new router, please let us know.