cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogue Database

Firemage

Rogue Database

I have had a mysql database setup on plusnet for quite a few years now, I logged on again yesterday to find another database with just _pn as its name with a test table in it along side my normal DB, I can access both DB under my username and password.
Anyone else had this "problem" ? Is someone hacking my DB ?
Thanks
Martin
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Rogue Database

Strange, I only have the 1 table in here. Which server are you on? (rumpus or humbug) We are trying to replicate the extra table but no luck so far.
*edit*
We managed to replicate this on rumpus but not humbug, problem is being raised. TBH I don't think it's anything to worry about, but obviously it shouldn't be there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Firemage

Hi Chris,
The server i use is rumpus.
Thanks for the response, just wanted to check if something had gone wrong.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

FYI This has been raised as problem 48152 for investigation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quick update.
It seems that there was a problem when a user created their database (ie. activated MySQL via the portal). The script served a blank variable that created a database with the name "_pn" and a username "".
From here -
In the User column, wildcard characters are not allowed, but you can specify a blank value, which matches any name.

This is why several users could see this rogue database.
We're reckoning on it being safe to remove the database/table/user etc, so change control will be raised to get that done shortly. We'll then look at trying to replicate the problem so we can see what we can tighten up with the creation script.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵