cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rock Bottom speed

exporters
Grafter

Rock Bottom speed

In the time it took to write this, I have been disconnected three times.  I'm now on 'dial up' & rewriting.
How long do I have to put up with this?  My ticket goes back 7mths & apart from one/two rays of sunshine of up to 4M, I'm now on < 100kbps.  The Thomson stats below was on one of the rare occasions I was on line tonight.
A fourth BT visit is scheduled for Thursday.  If the past is anything to go by, it will go round in circles since their seems to be no records, notes or continuity from one visit to the next. Does PN have any sway as to what happens with a BT visit, the local xchange condition or whatever.
What is the secret, anyone please.
71 REPLIES 71
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Rock Bottom speed

Hi exporters,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems again, this must be getting exasperating by now.
Does PN have any sway as to what happens with a BT visit

To a degree, yes. After the 2nd visit we can enter into a faults process called SFI intervention. Part of this allows us to pass on specific notes to the engineer. I will make sure this is done in your case and before I do I will review all the notes in full to make sure any actions aren't duplicated and that what I'm requesting is relevant to your issue.
Bear with me and I will come back to you again a bit later today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

Adam, thank you for picking this upspeedily.
I  just did not want to lose an opportunity with BT tomorrow. 
Looking @ my RouterStats, I am also wondering whether all my problems are the same issue.  The recent days dramatic disconnections, seem to take place over similar time slots - 20.00/3.00 hrs. give take an hour or two.  We have nothing going on/off within our house at that time to cause inteference. 
Anway, with so many discons. no wonder d/loads are so apalling.
Wait to hear further from you.
Ian
exporters
Grafter

Adam,
Thank you for your ticket message; also assessment & action instructions to BT & their engineer appt scheduled for tomorrow 1st July. 
Whilst I don't understand the technical terms, if it works as good as it sounds & delivers a steady line, I'll be a happy bunny.
Ian
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

exporters,
No problem, just let me know if theres any thing in particular that you need me to either clarify or explain in more detail.
The requests I've made are to help rule out some of the more common causes of the type of fault you are experiencing and should facilitate me getting this escalated within BT Wholesale for you in the even of today's appointment not leading to some improvement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

Adam, your +ve attention to my fault is much appreciated [as said before].
BT engineer arrived spot on.  Been twice before, so familiar with work he had previously carried out.  Update chat & as if to order, my line dropped out again. Showed him your 'specific request' email [incidentally FYI he had not been told of this!] & he went to work. Quality check OK, detected intermittent noise, SSFP, RF3 & 'done new E/Side - notes he put on my copy of your email.
Result, we wait to see but my DSL is the fastest it has ever been @  8128 & SNR 7 [used be 16].  BT engineer Chris Young was competant/professional, helpful & patient.  His 2 hr visit was impressive, please pass on.  I will dance or rant in 2/3 days time!
Ian
exporters
Grafter

Ommitted BT speed test from previous!  Presume with DSL like this speeds can only hit performance?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi again Ian,
That's great to hear and its all looking promising so far. Touch wood (find myself saying that too many times lately!) things will remain that way.
The speed shouldn't have a negative impact on performance as that new E-side cable seems to have pushed the noise margin right down to 7db.
I'll be able to speak to our wholesale suppliers about the specifics of this visit and get a copy of the notes in about 30 minutes time so whilst on the call I will pass on the positive feedback about the SFI that has visited you.
competant/professional, helpful & patient
all great virtues for an experienced and technically minded person to have.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just thought I'd update your thread again to say that the engineer's notes do verify what has been done on the visit  today (i.e replacement of E-side cabling). The connection has remained up since so fingers (and toes) crossed.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

We must have touched the wrong 'wood' Adam!  Wanted to get this to you ASAP.
I've attached relevant shots from RouterStats, Thomson & BT Speedtest.  The recurring/persistent midnight/early hours inteference can be clearly seen.
My +ve, the switch by BT of lines has had a beneficial effect, the bug in the system at least crops up the same time period every day!
Any thoughts, please.
exporters
Grafter

exporters
Grafter

Adam, here is the SNR, about 24hrs after BT visit yesterday. 
I'm sorry to say, seems we had 11 hrs stability before falling off the shelf. Disconnection, after disconnection.
Ian
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Ian,
Not great news, I'm seeing that too. I'll get on the case with BTW for you now.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

Well, I don't know who is dissapointed most. 
As of 12.05, I've had to give up on BB & move back to 'dial up' just to get emails due to repeated disconnections every minute or so.  I've never had to do this before since joining PN; seemingly I can only put it down to the BT system. Hopefully PN will pull soemthing out of the hat.
I'm having to pay for this as well. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Ian,
Just letting you know that your fault report is going back for some diagnostic check with BTW at the moment. Please bear with me and I should have a more detailed update a bit later this afternoon.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team