cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously slow speeds

Lauraclark1505

Ridiculously slow speeds

I’ve just joined Plusnet and I am getting stupidly low speeds. Initially I thought this was down to the 10 day adjustment stage but today it’s that bad I am getting 0.3mb download and 0.2 upload, I know my speeds will never be the highest but I find it ridiculous I’m paying £27.99 for this? I’ve checked the router, phone lines and micro sockets and there is nothing wrong with any of them
5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Ridiculously slow speeds

Sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems.

Our tests are showing your router in sync at 2.8mbps which is within your estimated speed range of between 2mbps to 6mbps. Are you testing over WiFi or using a wired connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wozza2016
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I'd move if I were you mate.  Your within your cooling off period surely. 

I've been pulling my hair out with PN for months.  Service can be fine then diabolical.  Mainly on weekends the service goes to absolute [-Censored-].  And when you get in touch with support they are not interested.

Currently looking for a new ISP.

I suggest you do the same before you are locked in.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Wozza2016 You are wrong, the OP will already have gone past the 14 day cooling off period as it starts from when you sign up.

Also, unless you move to Virgin, then all ISP's use the same Openreach infrastructure, so speeds are determined by your distance from the exchange for ADSL, or the cabinet for FTTC.

Lauraclark1505

Yes the speeds have improved slightly but only since I raised this issue and I’m still having drop outs where the only way to fix this is to turn off the router and wait for it to find a connection again. At the time of posting my original issue I was using a wired connection and it was that slow/dropping out I kept getting errors saying I wasn’t connected. I am out of the 14 day cancellation period but as a new customer I am not happy at all
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

I have ran some checks on your line, and I can see the drop outs in the logs. I can also see that your signal to noise ratio is a little higher than expected, which can be the cause of disconnections due to the length of the line.

Are you currently plugged into the main socket in the property or an extension socket? Can you please get connected to the test socket for me, and see how it goes over the next 24 hours. You can find instructions on how to do this in this thread.

If this doesn't help for you, can you please raise a fault here. Let us know when you have done this and we can take care of this for you.