cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously low broadband speeds.

yotmon
Hooked

Ridiculously low broadband speeds.

Hello, is there anyone out there who can help me. Although I live in a highly populated area (between Liverpool and Manchester) the broadband speed has always been what can only be described as pathetic. The problem being that I live about 4 miles from the exchange, there is no 'cable' in the area and no sign of fibre optic any time soon.

I have been with Plusnet for over 6 years and although we were only receiving around 450kbps at the beginning, this has slowly improved over the years to a jaw dropping 1.1Mbps. However, over the last few months it has been decreasing almost on a monthly basis. I have reported this to Plusnet twice in the last 6 months but it has continued to drop. Today the speed was dire and hardly a page could be opened. I have turned off the router and back on again but it seems to have gone worse.

I have tried to do speed checks but haven't even got enough speed to complete one - comes up with 'server error'. When I have had issues like this before, Plusnet have attempted to do 'things' at their end and the speed climbs back up, but all I seem to get now is to 'plug it into the BT box' and then never hear anything from them.

Is there anything I can do or should I get them to send out an engineer. Various laptops have been tried but all suffer from the slow speed.

I very much doubt that i am receiving over 400 kbps at the moment and wonder how this can be deemed adequate for a customer.

Thanks in advance for any respnces.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Ridiculously low broadband speeds.

Hi there yotman,

Apologies for the issues you're having. Let me go test the line and post back again shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Checking the estimates for your line suggests you should get between 1.5 and 3Mb/s:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 3 Available -- -- -- --

The line is pretty stable:

Unfortunately the line does seem very long, with a 70.5db loop loss:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 44.5 70.5
SNR Margin: 12.3 8.0
Errored Seconds: 5 2
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 144883 1425881
Speed: 544 768

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 864 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 691
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 402
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 273

We could *try* a line reset to drop the SNR back to 6db, however as it's only sat at 8db it may not make a huge difference.

I do have some good news though, Fibre to the Cabinet is available to you, at significantly better speeds than you're currently getting. The estimates are between 51.4 and 69.9Mb/s.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 69.9 51.4 20 15 44 Available -- -- Yes --
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
yotmon
Hooked

Thanks for that Chris. So, if the line is capable of such 'high' speeds, then there must be something that is restricting the line. Please do your 'best' at or end to see if it improves connection speeds.

As the broadband is only used for emails, forums and the occasional youtube video, the speed of just over 1.0Mbps was acceptable, it was only when it fell well below this that problems arose. It's annoying that we have paid the same cost as other customers for such slow speeds, yet the only answer would be to pay out more per month for the fibre optic. I suppose we will have to seriously consider the options.

Chris
Legend

I've put the reset through and it's been accepted, however it doesn't seem to have made a huge difference. The next step would be to go through the faults process. I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

yotmon
Hooked

Hi Chris, I have completed the fault request. 

The speed test readings were .71 mbps d/l - .49 mbps u/l. .77 mbps d/l - .50 mbps u/l. .76 mbps d/l - .44 mbps u/l.

Hope this helps.