cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously low IP setting

phoenicks

Ridiculously low IP setting

Hi
I've been with Plusnet for a couple of months and over the last few weeks the download speed has been dropping to almost dial-up levels.
I've run various speed tests and I'm getting approx 200k download (less than 10% of the line's capability), 360k upload.
I did have the same issue with BT when I first hooked up with them a few years ago and they had to manually push the IP setting back up to 2mb. I sent an email via online form to Plusnet on Monday but I've heard nothing back and if anything the speed has dropped (I was getting 250k on Monday).
Can someone please re-set my IP details so that I get a sensible speed. Once BT had nailed the settings down I consistently got 1.3-2.3mb for over 2 years with no issues, so I know it's perfectly possible.
The BT Wholesale test I ran a few minutes ago was:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.17 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps
I'd really, really, really appreciate it if someone could sort this out for me. My wife works from home (as do I on the odd day) and I have 2 teenage daughters. We need this speed to improve!
Cheers
Nick
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Ridiculously low IP setting

Can you please put your phone number in here and advise what it says about WBC on 21CN http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ as I assume it says that it isn't available
phoenicks

Further info from my router (rebooted 40 mins ago):
Downstream           3,168 Kbps
Upstream           448 Kbps
VPI/VCI                   0/38
Type                   PPPoA
Modulation           G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type            Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)        11.7 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 56.8 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)        4.8 dBm / 1.5 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)        0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)        0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)               15 / 1
CRC Errors (Down/Up)                2 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)                8 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)        2 / 0
phoenicks

Nope - BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN
I understand that Lincolnshire are getting "superfast broadband" from some other company in conjunction with the County Council & we should get hugely improved performance in 12 months. But I just want my humble 2 meg back right now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unless Plusnet can arrange a line reset you are stuck waiting for the DLM system to do its bit - it should happen within 24 hours but could take a couple of days
Do you have any idea what triggered the very low sync speed which hit the IP Profile
phoenicks

Nope, no idea why it's dropped. We sometimes have the odd powercut but the last one I know about (that was severe enough for the oven clock to lose its time) was over 2 weeks ago. We've had crappy speed for the last week. I seem to remember that the woman I spoke to at BT a few years ago was surprised that the line speed hadn't automatically increased. It seemed like it automatically dropped but had to be raised manually.
We've been waiting for an increase in speed for a week. If the system doesn't increase automatically (which I get the feeling it won't) then what's the likelihood of getting a line reset? And what does that entail exactly?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unfortunately a low speed synch won't sort itself - it will stay at that slow speed for ever until you spot it and do a manual resync
This was one of the reasons I ran routerstats continuously as I could see very quickly if the speed had dropped dramatically then I could fix it.
If I was quick enough then the IP profile wouldn't drop - usually in less than an hour of the drop
phoenicks

Ey up - something's happened...
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.17 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps
Thank you to whoever has fixed this. And interestingly, I now have a maximum speed of SEVEN MEG!!  Bring it on!  Cheesy
Happy with the 2.5 for the time being though Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It doesn't like we've actually done anything to fix this, the automated DLM must have kicked in Cheesy
Good to see you're back to normal speeds again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.