Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously high monthly usage!

laburnum5
Grafter

Ridiculously high monthly usage!

Hello,
I have just started my 10GB internet package with PlusNet. I have only had my internet active since the weekend of the 12th/13th. I have just checked our monthly usage and we have apparently used 7.41GB in the space of a few days!!! this can't be right.
I then looked at the breakdown and 53% of that 7.41GB is streaming. so 3.93GB of streaming?! i didnt know that was possible. the only streaming i can think of would include using youtube in the evenings to watch a few funny clips or watching longer (20mins~) on vimeo or dailymotion.
please help!
FYI: 1.7GB has been used on 'web' browsing ( that sounds quite high for a few days of internet? my flatmates just browse facebook and i dont download any large files.). Gaming has used 370mb.
16 REPLIES 16
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: Ridiculously high monthly usage!

We use between 5 and 20Gb a day half of which is usually streaming
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
It is actually quite easy to accrue that much usage from streaming even over the course of a few days. I'm wondering if you've been streaming the videos in HD as that can quickly push up the amount of bandwidth being used.
Being completely honest those figures you've mentioned don't seem to be unreasonable. Don't worry I'm not trying to do the hard sell and try to get you to upgrade but I'm wondering if you're aware that usage is free between midnight and 8am (I understand a lot of people might not be able to make the best use of that due to the hours they keep). But I would definitely check the quality of the videos you're viewing and see if altering your habits a little makes a difference to the usage recorded
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
laburnum5
Grafter

We never watch anything in HD because of the router's poor signal strength. so with that in mind, how large is a 20 minute youtube clip watched in 320p? 10MB? more?!
I understand that after midnight its free so I best use that advantage more  Cry but still! good to see gaming isnt that high.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

20 minute standard definition clip is probably 2-300Mb (at a rough guess)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/beginners.html#63 Has some good guidelines.
You can also install a local monitor such as the one from ThinkBroadband or Networx
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
laburnum5
Grafter

wow 200mb for a 20min standard def video? my eyes have been opened  Shocked how much more is the unlimited plan per month?
thanks for the replies guys
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You can find out by stepping through the upgrade process here https://portal.plus.net/apps/account/change/4352596/Broadband
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have you considered upgrading to the Unlimited package?  It isn't that much more expensive and it might save a lot of hassle.
laburnum5
Grafter

well im paying £3 for broadband atm but unlimited looks like £9.99 a month! unless the 1/2 price deal is in effect it'd be £4.99 which i'd willingly upgrade to.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm certain we can move the discounts over for you on to unlimited, want me to sort that out for you? FYI any account changes have to be scheduled for the next billing date which in your case is 7/2/13.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
laburnum5
Grafter

Hi Adam, are you able to do it tomorrow? I need to go home and make sure it's ok with my flatmates first.
So the unlimited plan would start from 7/2/12 rather than this month am I correct? And it wouldn't be a 'new' contract but instead just fill in the remainder of my current one? thanks for the help
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you don't set extra usage cost to zero it is going to cost you a bomb
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Just the mention of "flatmates" makes me think that Unlimited is the right package for you.
laburnum5
Grafter

Grin lol. when i signed up i heard '10GB' and i thought 'well we're NEVER going to download more than 10GB a month'. I never knew streaming counted so much towards the allowance you see.
I always presumed streamed videos were held on their own big servers and I never actually downloaded anything. how wrong i was!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Adam, are you able to do it tomorrow?

No, sorry. That's why I mentioned we'd need to schedule it for the next billing date. I'll get that scheduled now for you though.
As Jim says it would be wise to apply a usage cap via the member centre to avoid extra costs in the meantime.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team