cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous wireless speeds

Kakranj

Ridiculous wireless speeds

With a wired connection I get 66 DL and 11 UL
With wirless it drops significantly to 5-11 DL and 1-3 UL. (5M away from the router).
If I go near the router, (literally ontop of it) I get 24 DL and 11 UL.
It's either the router has terrible wireless or my computer doesn't have a very good network adapter card. Testing other computers as I write..
5 REPLIES 5
Kakranj

Re: Ridiculous wireless speeds

Tested 2 more laptops (HP & Acer) and they both recieved 14-19 DL and 11UL near the router. Is the router supplied THAT bad? Honestly!
kgk86
Grafter

To me that is a very good connection.
Wireless is a shared medium. Lots of things share the spectrum and have to transmit and receive on the same 'pipe.'
Have you tried switching channels on the router ?
If you have a smartphone, download wifi analyser and see which channels are in use. Try to pick a channel with the least congestion and test again, but, stick with either channel 1, 6 or 11
Kakranj

Losing 50 mb/s download speed is not what I would call 'good'. Anyway; it could be because of the freezer that is situated >0.5 m away from the router (until we can find a good place to put it).
I'll try that wifi analyser, thanks.
dick:quote
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the freezer is most likely causing some interference - whether it is 50Mbps worth of interference is another matter.
a whole manner of things can cause WIFIinterference - cordless phones, cordless doorbells, automatic garage doors, microwaves... no name just a few.
and those items don't even need to be in your home for them to cause interference... next doors doorbell is enough.
this is the major flaw with WIFI in general.
of course, even with N WIFI, you will never get anywhere near the advertised speed as that is optimum and only achievable in labs.
picbits
Rising Star

I get around 20-30Mb through wireless - it was around 3-4 before I changed the channel to one a bit less congested.